Welcome to the Machine...

Thread: Welcome to the Machine...

Welcome to the Machine...

...MS's Vista licensing goes where no licensing has gone before.

"4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system."

http://www.theregister.com/2006/10/2...sis/print.html

This is gonna be fun.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by brokencrow
    ...MS's Vista licensing goes where no licensing has gone before.

"4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system."

http://www.theregister.com/2006/10/2...sis/print.html

This is gonna be fun.
    Just so you know... This really doesn't change anything... I've actually been considering a blog posting to refute everyones claims..

First, this only applies to the "Home" versions of Vista... There's no reason why these versions should be used anyways... Most research companies will have MSDN access or Volumne access to some level, so they'll be able to do it... Individual researchers.. most of them violate they EULA right now by installing the same XP in VM that they have on their machines... very few buy legit copies for their VMs...

Also the wording doesn't directly say you can't install it on a VM.. It says you can't install the software licensed for the device you're reading it on ... on a VM... To me that means you can't reinstall your OEM copy into a VM... which makes sense...

The VISTA license is the same as every other license and this FUD is the same FUD that we saw when XP was being released....

The Register has turned into Enquirer or any other of those Grocery Store Housewife Celebrity Gossip Magazines... and I've seen that said quite a bit lately...

peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

I think that it is wonderful and certainly marvellous that Ballmer and Gates are proposing to make even greater contributions to the finances of the European Community............and so soon after the last lot

The virtualisation crap doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance over here. Hardware is exactly what it says hard..............and physical. Virtualised environments are actually software deployments, not hardware

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    I think that it is wonderful and certainly marvellous that Ballmer and Gates are proposing to make even greater contributions to the finances of the European Community............and so soon after the last lot

The virtualisation crap doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance over here. Hardware is exactly what it says hard..............and physical. Virtualised environments are actually software deployments, not hardware
    I still don't see a problem with it... They're just saying this OS is installed on this computer... You can't also install it in a VM... which makes sense.. you can't install it multiple times.. people like to use VMs to side step the legality issues...
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

The problem is that it is very loosely/badly worded.

MS could easily have said:

1. You may install this software on one machine, and one machine only (OEM OTC versions)

2. You can only have one installation of it on that machine at any one time.

Also, Microsoft licence software not computers (devices).

There is no reason that you should not install an OS into a VM if that is what you want to do. With a recovery disk or partition you doubtless would not be able to do that anyway, but if you buy a new computer or retail version of the OS and want it on a VM then that should be OK.

It is impossible to police anyways so I don't see why they bother, particularly as very few people actually want more than one copy of the same OS on the same hardware platform.

EDIT: I have just checked a copy of the EULA for XP Pro. It clearly states that you can use one copy on a single machine. So, if you create a VM on that machine and load another copy you now have two copies on the same machine. Even if the VM were classed as a separate machine (it isn't; it is more of a secure partition) you would then have loaded one copy onto two machines, which is also not allowed.
    Last edited by nihil; October 31st, 2006 at 06:14 AM.

I agree with nihil - it's not a significant enough number to worry about. How many people are we actually talking about compared to the number of Windows users overall?

It's impossible to police and not worth the money trying to.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature