Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yahoo IM IP Capture

yes i heard the same, using a port detector you can only find the other persons IP when opening a direct connection such as sending a file, using a webcam etc etc.

also the microsoft app above is very useful thanks for stickin link in here brokencow!

boxalon

Does anyone know what netstat would "see" if the two computers were also part of some sort of local network, possibly with separate internet connections, dial-up or whatever?

I was always under the impression that if you had a stand alone computer and connected to the internet and then Yahoo! IM, all you would show to any recipient of your messages would be the Yahoo! server's IP address, unless you made a direct connection.

If this is not the case then it would suggest that both Yahoo! and the ISP are letting netstat through. If that were true a possible solution would be to use a script that monitored incoming IMs and ran netstat at that time. This would simulate you being at the computer and running netstat manually?

The first time I checked this out both PCs were connected directly to the same cable modem.

I have since tried it again. One PC was directly on the cable modem. The other was using a dial up connection with a different ISP. (TRACERT showed the data traveled about 3000 miles round trip.)

Both scenarios worked the same. I was able to show the local IP of each PC using NETSTAT. However, there are times when the IP will not show up. If that happens transfer a file and NETSTAT will show the IP.

i asked this question myself too, and got an ideal solution
    get this little fella:

all your problems will be solved
    Last edited by t34b4g5; October 2nd, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Link Removed, not hard to work out why. ;)

AOs Resident Troll
    Yah right

I aint gonna click

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Greetings.

Jimday as you would have noticed the last post in this thread was "December 11th 2006".

So i doubt that any new info relating to the OP's question would be worthwhile.