Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Needed

I have seen some old Micron computers do this...it was a bad power button.

Thanks clp727,

By I/O switch, I was referring to the "startup button", not the rocker switch for the PSU.

Unfortunately, we do not know what the hardware is.......like laptop, desktop, tower, flat top?

Microns did have that problem.............so did Apricots and Amstrads (UK brands folks, so don't worry if you have never heard of them)

I most frequently encounter it with VDUs though...........I hate that, as I am never comfortable with a display unit.........I will not go inside the inner wall..............too many deadly capacitors in there?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Nihil,

You need to make a "chicken stick". It's a tool with a wood or plastic handle with a metal probe, the metal probe has a ground lead which you clip to ground.

Once the monitor is disconnected from power, you touch the caps with the probe and ZAP the cap is discharged.

You could use a long screwdriver with a lead and alligator clips.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

LIke i think nihil is right ill try his suggestion but what can i do to cure this prob
    [/color][glowpurple]The ladder of sucess is never crowded at top:Napolean[/glowpurple]

Hello phoenixmajestic,

Welcome to AO by the way......... I regret that my "English manners" program has been malfunctioning of late

If my suspicions are correct, I would recommend either go to your local TV repair shop, or get a new case and install the motherboard and bits into that.

Please try the test I suggested and let me know what the result was

fourdc..... thanks mate, "you are a better man than I am Ghunga Din" (Rudyard Kipling)............... my mate Jim has a TV repair shop..... I just "outsource" as he does for me....... it means our customers get the best deal?

Cheers