Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using other's unsecured wireless

ethical? bullsht. if someone leaves a connection open i'll use it all day.
    if they dont like it they can do the massive amount of work and put a wpa code on it. ridiculous. use any connection you can ,just have a vpn to
    protect yourself.

I would strongly recommend totally ignoring the post by antion9876 as it is total crap!

It has no concept of morals or ethics, let alone law

Hey, I have two gardens at the front of my house............... there are flowers in there........... can you just come in and help yourself?

EDIT: For those who have not worked it out, the old "Antipoints" is that little weigh scale down the bottom left............... and us moderators can see all
    Last edited by nihil; December 5th, 2006 at 09:49 AM.

Thank you nihil, reading that just made my blood boil. I could post half a page of disparaging comments, but he probably isn't worth the effort. Worst of all, he sounds positively proud of it!

*makes a massive attempt to shut up"

How do you award anti points?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

AOs Resident Troll
    Click the scales on the users post (bottom left)

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Sorry, I must be ultra thick today .... I can see a bad post link, but that's all.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Sorry, I must be ultra thick today .... I can see a bad post link, but that's all.
    Right below the green dots and your Avatar, Moira.

Cheers:
    DjM

Back onto the subject of using the wireless: I have a lot of the customers I work with on a day to day basis that could really use the knowledge provided in the help menus about securing their connections or some of you fine guys and girls to help them out. I do aDSL and about 1/3rd of the people I visit that have wireless routers never do anything to secure them. That means no passwords, no mac filtering, not to mention wpa or wep. I encourage them, as soon as I see that, to change it to at least be their tel #.

It's an easy fix when I receive a repair ticket at a set of apartments or a dorm where the complaint is slow speeds and the customer has wifi'd the entire 3rd floor. I know just adding a password or wep doesn't secure it enough, but it will keep the average user from leeching.

I was at a local community college about a month ago where my customer had reported extremely slow speeds for having 6meg dsl. When I showed up, the problem was obvious. I enabled the security and made him happy. But when I was leaving 2 people from the dorm below him came out and asked what I had done to their free internet they where getting. my response was that if you want to use that wireless signal your were getting try splitting the bill with the guy upstairs and he might let you back on..... They were not happy with that answer hehe.. Ok, I'll shut up and get back to work.

Good day to all

Talking

Sorry, posted it twice. Where's the corner and how long to I stand there?
    Last edited by Boogymantroy; December 5th, 2006 at 10:34 PM. Reason: My mistake

LOL Boogymantroy! Careful or I might find that icon to click (joke, your posts always have something relevant to say).

Actually I think I see what you mean, but I thought that was just for giving good feedback.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Is this some kind of site run by nuns? Is this the born again, lilly white, church goers' security site?
    What a joke.
    If you don't want someone on your signal then put a password on it.

End of story.
    Last edited by nihil; December 6th, 2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Grammar, syntax, punctuation?