Thread: M$ + Novell =WTF?

M$ + Novell =WTF?

I found an interesting read here...

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/02/m...tes-regarding/

So, any thoughts on this?

Personally, I'm scared. I am attempting my best to run Suse 9.3 (Gore, I finally got past that stupid video thing.....after trying to run Ubuntu and Slackware, I went back to Suse, and I paid more attention durring the install phase, and it works now!!!!) And I'm enjoying the fact that the more I learn, the more I can contribute to the OS community. But package that with a bunch of copyrights, and our contributions are soon to be useless..

no source code + no contributions = more money for M$??

-z3

edit

heres another link with a bit more info

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...feed&subj=zdnn
    Last edited by z31200n3; November 3rd, 2006 at 04:54 AM. Reason: more info

I saw this a few minutes ago, my GF sent me the link. I was like ohhhh my....

Banned
    time will defiantly tell wether or not this was a good move from both sides.

I'll still be using suse no matter what, it's a nice little OS once you get it set up the way you want, and it's the main OS i recommened to those wanting to see if the grass is actually greener on the other side

cheers
    acidtone..

I really liked Suse, prior to 10.1.

The new update scheme has me turned off, ( including the fact that I accepted as non root user to update once, and now that user has unlimited authority to update the box, ) the lizard is gone, and AppArmor really did nothing for me.

I had bad feelings about Novell taking over Suse for unknown reasons: I still use and am writing this in Word Perfect before posting this, and always preferred it to M$ Word, so I don't know where those feelings came from.

If I did not know better I would say this deal and the Oracle announcement were coordinated to undermine and disembowel the Open Source community in general, and Red Hat specifically.

Can anyone say RICO Act ?

I am no fan of the Fedora project in general, and when FC 5 ( and FC 6 RC3 ) did not load on my laptop I went with Suse ... but the final version of FC 6 ( on the surface ) seems to have fixed these problems. I think I am going back to Red Hat! I guess I have always rooted ( pun ?? ) for the underdog!
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Interesting...............I guess MS have realised that a part of something is better than all of nothing.

One of the criticisms of deploying Linux in a commercial environment has been the lack of helpdesk type support. If MS move into this area big time it will be very difficult for anyone to subsequently come into the market after them.

We all know that there are parts of the World where MS makes very little revenue because most of the software is pirated. Perhaps they see this as an opportunity to leverage additional income. After all, you cannot pirate software support services?

i was watching the webcast in aw. it was weird seeing the backdrop with all those "MICROSOFT" and "NOVELL" logos all over by each other.
    all it is though is virtualization. ballmer made it VERY clear that Novell and Suse were still competitors, he made it clear a couple of times through the press conference.
    i couldn't wait, cuz we got emails from Novell talking about a huge event and the CEO was going to make an announcement, then i saw the Press thing on microsoft's site, and their link pointing to the same webcast as novell's, i never been so anxious for a webcast before.
    its all about patents and now novell linux users will be able to have a part of the "Microsoft Patent Covenant" or w/e the hell that means.

Quote Originally Posted by deftones12
    i was watching the webcast in aw. it was weird seeing the backdrop with all those "MICROSOFT" and "NOVELL" logos all over by each other.
    all it is though is virtualization. ballmer made it VERY clear that Novell and Suse were still competitors, he made it clear a couple of times through the press conference.
    i couldn't wait, cuz we got emails from Novell talking about a huge event and the CEO was going to make an announcement, then i saw the Press thing on microsoft's site, and their link pointing to the same webcast as novell's, i never been so anxious for a webcast before.
    its all about patents and now novell linux users will be able to have a part of the "Microsoft Patent Covenant" or w/e the hell that means.

do you have a link for the webcast? I wouldnt mind watching it myself.

:-)

-z3

email we got at work (we're big with novell):
    2 November 2006

CEO Update
    Webcast November 2, 2006 5pm EST

Dear Valued Customer,

We have some exciting new developments in our Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise story, and we'd like you to be the first to hear about it. Please join us on Thursday, 2 Nov., at 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time, for a special CEO-Update Webcast at http://www.novell.com/webcast

Mark your calendars - you won't want to miss this!

Novell

and the webcast i originally found on microsofts site and watched, (they were the same however), is here: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...ferenceMA.mspx

idk if they have an archived copy or w/e cuz we watched it live, i'm sure they have a transcript or something available.

Def,

just took the link, and it states that the video will be available for 'at least 6 months'. I cant watch it at work, but as soon as I get home I'll be a watchin'

Thanks for the link!

And now, for Red Hat.....

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6...feed&subj=zdnn

Just an update, from your friendly neighborhood z3.