12 20.69%
  • XP (2000/98/ME) is fine by me.

26 44.83%
  • Do we need a vista poll?

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: How long till you adopt Vista?

Yes Moira the UK has different accounting rules and tax regulations. We produce "statutory accounts" and a "tax return" which may say different things, but must be reconcilable.

In the USA your tax return is generally identical to your accounts so "tax concessions" are built into the accounts. This is why they use LIFO (last in first out) for inventory valuation, and "double declining balance" for amortization (depreciation) for example.

My problem with the Windows XP machine was partly that it had onboard video that was taking 16 megs of the 64 installed

The other thing is that it was a "default install", which really wants 128MB.

It is surprising how little resource XP will run on if you know what you are doing I would generally recommend 512MB of RAM or better for average home users, simply as a precautionary or pre-emptive measure.

I agree, I got XP slimmed down with XP lite and had it running on my laptop, which only had 192MB RAM of which 8MB were being used for onboard graphics. If you stop unnecessary services and start-up programs running it definitely does help.

I still don't know how you got it even booting on 64MB RAM though, especially as that was trimmed down to 48MB!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Yes, it took almost 10 minutes to boot .............that is why I thought the VDU was dead!

I added another 64MB to make 128MB and turned off unessential stuff and It at least behaved half-decently with standard office and browsing type stuff.

No point in trying games with that low video capability?

Depends on the games .... you might manage Solitaire
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Banned
    Hmm i came across this interesting article while trolling the securityfocus site. a little while back, It's an interesting read.

Vista's EULA Product Activation Worries I think that they chose a very fitting name for this story, you could say it's almost scary..

cheers
    acidtone..
    Last edited by acidtone; November 27th, 2006 at 01:17 AM.

Interesting - I think there was a link from Slashdot to that, I remember taking a quick look at it a short while ago.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Interesting - I think there was a link from Slashdot to that, I remember taking a quick look at it a short while ago.

Yeah i was going to post the link up on the 20th, but i've had a fair bit going on with my life at the moment, so i didn't get the chance to bring it into the discussion until now..