12 20.69%
  • XP (2000/98/ME) is fine by me.

26 44.83%
  • Do we need a vista poll?

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How long till you adopt Vista?

Ohhhhhhh for just two gigs of RAM and a huge processor I can do with Windows what I do with Linux on a P3 with 384 MBs of RAM???? Oh Neat!!!!!!
    Last edited by gore; November 3rd, 2006 at 06:27 PM.

BANNED
    I just sat here and typed out a long response as to why I wouldn't be getting Vista and when I posted it said invalid thread and I'm late so I'm just going to post two articles and leave it at that.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061030-8104.html
    Last edited by gore; November 3rd, 2006 at 06:33 PM.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Quote Originally Posted by muert0
    I just sat here and typed out a long response as to why I wouldn't be getting Vista and when I posted it said invalid thread and I'm late so I'm just going to post two articles and leave it at that.
    http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/420
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061030-8104.html

That's a bit odd... Did you try hitting back? Usually if something like that happens on a forum where I've been typing a long reply I don't want to do again I just hit the back button and once in a while it takes you back to the post you had typed out, or I copy and paste it so if it does happen I don't have to again.

Anyway though I looked over the first link and it does appear to me and I'm sure others, that the lisence for this thing is going to make lawyers scream at night. (Heh, I know you like Acid Bath so I'll compare it to the live versions of some of their demo stuff ).

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Ohhhhhhh for just two gig of RAM and a huge processor I can do with Windows what I do with Linux on a P3 with 384 MBs of RAM???? Oh Neat!!!!!!
    Who needs Linux?.................you can do it with Windows so long as it isn't Vista.

This is what I really don't follow. In a business/institutional environment or a casual home situation you just don't need all this eye candy?

I am put in mind of all the hardware I have seen in business environments over the years. Apart from CAD deployments, the kit was always pretty minimalistic compared to home multimedia setups.

Vista seems to be the complete opposite............the business versions seem to require more resources that the basic home editions?

Weird IMHO?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Who needs Linux?.................you can do it with Windows so long as it isn't Vista.

This is what I really don't follow. In a business/institutional environment or a casual home situation you just don't need all this eye candy?

I am put in mind of all the hardware I have seen in business environments over the years. Apart from CAD deployments, the kit was always pretty minimalistic compared to home multimedia setups.

Vista seems to be the complete opposite............the business versions seem to require more resources that the basic home editions?

Weird IMHO?
    Yea that is a little strange to me. TCO and ROI in business usually means "Make this thing so bare bones that it makes Paris Hilton look fat and make it run the software we need without doing what she does after each meal"...

vista for biz users should be out this month

Microsoft has set November 30 as the release date for Vista (and Office 2007) to business customers and January 30, 2007 as the date for the official launch to consumers and The World At Large.

http://apcmag.com/node/4258

full story.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

i wasn't going to try it, or not right away at least. but now that Microsoft and Novell have teamed up and have some virtualization tools on the way to run Microsoft on linux and linux on windows, i'll try out vista, on linux.

Quote Originally Posted by chizra
    Microsoft has set November 30 as the release date for Vista (and Office 2007) to business customers
    Oh great they pick MY Birthday as a release date for this thing?

Well at least you'll always know when it was released, in case you're ever a contestant on Jeopardy, and it comes up.

I'm good at that show, I need to go on there. My knowledge of BS is astounding. lol. I can't believe I'm going to be 24....