• XP (2000/98/ME) is fine by me.

26 44.83%
  • Do we need a vista poll?

8 13.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How long till you adopt Vista?

Banned
    Thanks lady's and Gent's for all the good responses, i was hoping for this thread to get a bit of action, maybe a little debate.
    Keep the good responses coming etc, this is making out to be a really good read.

cheers
    acidtone..

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    I'm good at that show, I need to go on there. My knowledge of BS is astounding. lol. I can't believe I'm going to be 24....

I have quite a collection of BS knowledge too. My parents have always told me that I know a little bit about everything.....

2 friggin gigs of memory just for the OS? Thats amazing......

What is M$ thinking....

"hey, lets make an opperating system that may flop, make it so that everyone, even basic users, have to get a brand new machine, spend hundreds of dollars on memory, a few thousand on a graphics card, and then call it Vista.....We'll then charge a cool thousand for the OS, make a merger with the leading Open Source distro, and watch as our sales plummit and SuSe grows due to users realizing that our products are too overpriced, and do the same things, but while less resource friendly, as FREE OS's can........."

or maybe I'm just paranoid ;-)

Maybe they're taking their cues from our gov. and figuring, "Hey, bloated sells!".

Hi Z3,

I do not think that you are paranoid at all old chap................this is a very strange change in direction for Microsoft IMHO.

I possibly mislead you? I believe that the 2Gb of RAM was to run the OS and your applications (yes you can have notepad and the calculator ............. but not at the same time)

The reason that I find this strange is that in the past, MS have been very careful to ensure that their business products did not demand massive hardware upgrades? I run Win 2000 pro and server and don't have any real issues with resources. Win ME is a real resource pig and comes in around the same as XP, but they will both do fine with 512Mb of RAM (I do prefer 1 Gb for XP and have always put that into Win 2000 boxes because it will handle the addressing OK)

gore mentioned total cost of ownership and return on investment. This is the bit we cannot understand.............if I have a secretary or accounts clerk running basic office type apps and some stuff on a server, what in hell do I need this "AERO" crap for?

I am looking at spending maybe $400 per machine for stuff I have absolutely no use for? (video card + RAM)

Yet the "dumbed down" versions are for home users, who will either stay with what they have got or buy new?

I must admit to being totally confused by this strategy

Dead Man Walking
    I just got in a brand new laptop from Dell. Its got a 1.6ghz dual core proc and 1gb of ram. Its got a fancy little sticker on it that says "vista compatable". I ran that tool that someone linked to a few pages back and acording to MS I am going to loose my sound capabilties if I upgrade. Hmmmmmm I think i will stay with XP for a while. At least 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by gore
    Ohhhhhhh for just two gigs of RAM and a huge processor I can do with Windows what I do with Linux on a P3 with 384 MBs of RAM???? Oh Neat!!!!!!
    I have to say that I don't have 2 gigs of RAM on the PC running Vista and the 1 gig I have is perfectly adequate, ie looking at how much is being consumed I don't think I need 2 gig. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a nice addition, but necessary? I don't think so unless you're using apps that particularly need large amounts of RAM anyway.

Depends how impatient you are. For some users, waiting 20 seconds for an app to open and be fully ready for use is just fine. For others, it's an eternity. Being a native NYer, I would probably fall into the latter category.

That's what I'm trying to say though - I'm not waiting anything like that length of time for an app to open and it's debatable whether more RAM would even reduce the time I do wait. Possibly a faster processor would, but since the RAM isn't even anywhere near all being used, then what good would adding another 1 gig do? Particularly in what is my spare computer - I'm tempted to add more RAM here if I can afford it, particularly as the dual channel mode is utilised well with dual core which I have on this PC.

You have a point. I do feel that memory is WAY behind processor speed in terms of performance importance. But we always hear it said that adding more memory is the most significant upgrade you can make to your system. Frankly, like you, I don't see it being true.

At work, I'll switch to Vista fairly soon after it's released - at some point, Vista will be the OS in which my users are working on, so I'll get in on the ground floor so I can be ready to work with the users when they have issues. At home, it's a different story - I'm quite content with my main box at WinXP, so I probably won't be using Vista at home until I purchase a new system.
    - Maverick