Thunderbird Smtp Mail Problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunderbird Smtp Mail Problem

But it means that I can't send email from my parent's house when i visit them. They're at an age where they need to have me around more to do things for em, and I can work from their house, except for this email issue.

Sorry - have I missed something here?

What email issue do you have and why can't you send email from your parent's house?

Their cable co. blocks port 25 and the email in question is smtp.

Surely you can send email from a webmail interface? That would do me if it was just somebody else's house, or work. It's just irritating not being able to make full use of Thunderbird at home.

Yes, but it's a lousy one. I use a great email client (The Bat!) with a lot of features I depend on. So yes, I can use the webmail but it really slows me down.

I know, it's annoying. You can't send mail from any alias either which is a big drawback for me (I have so many!).

Well this my work mail I'm referring to so no aliases are possible. I wish I knew what port to change to in my email client. I've tried a few and none worked.

Port 587 is used by Gmail, AOL and Yahoo (except that Yahoo's settings are down at the moment). There's been a major upsurge in spam recently, which could be why ISPs are tightening up on the ability to send mail so easily.

It's thought this is the work of a major botnet, gearing up for the christmas period. Either way, most people have noticed a heavy increase in the amount of spam in their inboxes over recent months. Story here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10...et_spam_surge/

There are a few email clients that don't allow you to change the smtp port, but plenty that do. Until recently I would have recommended Thunderbird! It's still good, but I really need to get on to AOL when I have time and find out what's going on. I'm also hoping I will somehow regain the ability to send mail through Yahoo's servers because that worked brilliantly for a good year or more.

I can change it in mine, but I don't know what to change it to. Also, I was a thunderbird user for a yr. It's not up to snuff, for what I need. It eats memory like an italian eats pasta, it's profile is too easily corrupted (happened to me twice in a yr, on 2 different OS) and it basically has nothing in the way of features, compared to what I use now.
    Last edited by JPnyc; November 6th, 2006 at 08:14 PM.

I suppose you can't find out from your IT dept or find the settings yourself at work?

You could try port 587 - it might work.