Thread: server used by spammer

server used by spammer

I have a vb board up running on fedora 4 with sendmail, the site requires users email verification, spammer is using the server and i dont know how to block them so i diabled registrations and removed sendmail temporarily

is there a simple way to continue to require email verification and prevent this from happening, i am not good with this stuff and need to be walked thru any possible solutions, thanks for any and all who help
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Not my area, but we could probably use some more info.

What version of vB?
    What version of sendmail?
    Have you enabled relaying in Sendmail?..........it should be off by default in later versions IIRC.

Do you own and administer the server or is the board being hosted for you?

Would I be correct in assuming that this "spammer" is using your mail facility to send out spam e-mails, or is it something else?

just to update, we got rid of sendmail, the host is part of the problem..and our server is dedicated...we decided to learn how to install an smtp server and manually validate members

its a free site so we arent under the gun, but editing those php files and stuff is a steep learning curve, something we will learn as we go and if i get really stuck, as always, i will be back

thanks to all who took the time to read this
    the only way to fix it is to flush it all away-tool

Are you using sendmail to actually receive email on that system, or are you receiving email elsewhere? Just wanted to point out a common misconception that sendmail must be running as a daemon to actually send an emai. Sendmail need only run as a daemon if you need something to listen to and be able to receive email on that system...

IIRC, sendmail has for a while come pre-configured to reject spam relay. A long time ago I released a tool for scanning servers for this problem...it should be out there somewhere...if not, you could always do it manually, its very straightforward.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)