CD drive not recognizing boot CDs other than Windows
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD drive not recognizing boot CDs other than Windows

CD drive not recognizing boot CDs other than Windows

I'm having a problem with a Dell Inspiron notebook. When I try to boot from a CD to install linux, it just boots from the hard drive (I hit F12 on boot and it gives me the boot menu, so I choose boot from CD, and it still boots from the HDD). It reads normal CDs just fine. It only read my Windows CD, and would boot from it. So I tried reformating my drive, hoping that if it couldn't boot from that, it would boot from one of my CDs, but it gave me an error when I tried to boot after it was formatted. I still was able to boot from the Windows CD only, and reinstall windows. I tried updating the bios, but there were no updates from the version I have now. I have no idea what to do now. Any help would be appreciated.

Question: would this by chance be a burned copy? Are you able to see any files inside Windows with that CD?

From what you’re describing you have tried other CDs and they will boot and read but this is the only one. Is that correct? If that is the case it sounds like you have a bad CD on your hands.

Try to get another copy.

Also just to let you know the boot menu options have nothing to do with the OS. Windows does not have any control of that area of your system. So formatting and reinstalling windows would not help in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by devildell
    Question: would this by chance be a burned copy? Are you able to see any files inside Windows with that CD?

From what you’re describing you have tried other CDs and they will boot and read but this is the only one. Is that correct? If that is the case it sounds like you have a bad CD on your hands.

Try to get another copy.

Also just to let you know the boot menu options have nothing to do with the OS. Windows does not have any control of that area of your system. So formatting and reinstalling windows would not help in this case.
    Yes, its burned. No, I can't see files inside the CD on that computer, but I can on my dell desktop computer.

Any Linux distro i tried wouldn't boot, and I tried Partition Logic, that didn't work either, but for some reason the Windows XP cd that came with my dell booted fine.

I realized that windows doesn't have control of that area, but I wasn't sure if the computer was still booting to the HD before the CD, i wasn't sure if it was a BIOS problem or something. (I did go onto the boot list and change the order, that didn't work either) It didn't really bother me to reformat, cause the person i'm doing this for wanted it reformatted anyway.

Good Evening,

I experienced similar problems with another brand of laptop. Originally before I repartitioned it, there were 3 partitions. The first partition of about 30mb was essential, shared several critical instructions with the BIOS (including the drivers for the CD/DVD player) and also contained some other, utilities etc. With it gone my laptop would not boot from anything other than the HDD. I had to restore the partition and obtain the drivers and files from the manufacture’s site and use the ole command line to install them. Once they were back in place, I could boot from any Linux Installation CD and it now has only Linux installed. I must say it's kinda funny to see the Compaq Logo pop up and shortly there after SUSE loads up

Don’t know if that helps, but check to see if that’s the case on the Dell.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

What FS was the partition? and what drivers did you install? Would these be installable in windows? (i forget how to get to DOS in XP other than in safe mode, which is still in windows, but im not sure if that matters, and im real slow at it) Ill try installing Dell CD drive drivers now and see what comes up...
    Last edited by metguru; November 11th, 2006 at 04:31 AM.

Well,

1. Clean the CD. Long strokes from the centre to the rim and not circular in motion.

2. Is the CD actually bootable?......... try it on another box?

3. Clean your CD drive.

4. Check that the media is compatible.............if it was burned at a higher speed than your drive, that might be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Well,

1. Clean the CD. Long strokes from the centre to the rim and not circular in motion.

2. Is the CD actually bootable?......... try it on another box?

3. Clean your CD drive.

4. Check that the media is compatible.............if it was burned at a higher speed than your drive, that might be the problem?

1. The CD is fairly clean.
    2. Yea, I tried it (them) on my other Dell.
    3. how do you go about doing that without scratching the lazer?
    4. The laptop drive is 24x, and I think the computer I burned it on was able to burn at a higher speed, so I'll burn another copy.

Unhappy

I burned a new CD at 12x and the laptop still didn't read it in windows.

3. how do you go about doing that without scratching the lazer?
    Actually, they sell a CD for that. But, I don't believe that is the problem, and I'm not sure myself what the problem is. Have you tried contacting Dell and getting their 2 cents?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

I actually thought about calling them, but I wasn't sure if they'd help with that type of problem.