Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with ADSL

Hybrid View

Problem with ADSL

Hi,
    I've got ADSL internet but it cuts out all the time, my phone line is quite long and it may be the cause. I'm darned sick of these cut outs. Is there anything anybody knows that could help me?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoji
    my phone line is quite long and it may be the cause.
    I personally don't have ADSL. But i've heard of people suffering cut outs etc, and they seemed to be able to fix it just by moving there computer closer to the phone jack, thus enabling them to use a shorter cable from the modem to the outlet..

also have you tried giving your ISP a call and get them to manually test the line, maybe there is something not right happening from there end..

just a few thoughts..

cheers
    acidtone..

Your ISP shouldn't sell you an internet package that "cuts out" every few minutes because they can check how suitable the line is for the service they're offering you. To be honest, the broadband market is scandalous at the moment, with so many half truths and misrepresentations. There's a whole host of reasons why you might not be getting the service you signed up for, including BT's ancient copper wires struggling to provide speeds of anywhere near the promised 8 megs, traffic shaping in busy periods, capping by nearly all ISPs (I can only think of Blueyonder and AOL who don't).

Cheap broadband packages, or deals like Orange are offering may sound tempting but pared-to-the-bone broadband is a very flakey business with technical help often costing premium rates and companies providing what ought to be so many additional benefits, yet ending up with increasing numbers of dissatisfied customers. "Free" broadband is often only free along with a phone package when you sign an 18 month contract and only 4 out of 10 subscribers to the 8Mbps maxdsl service will enjoy speeds of even 6Mb.

BT Wholesale reports that download speeds are dependent on at least nine different factors, which include distance from the exchange, your ISP's investment in its network, the local weather, the location of the site you're accessing and how well the internet is performing that day. Poor internal wiring, electrical noise and low quality hardware are other factors involved. ISPs make use of these "excuses" to provide slower than promised speeds.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Try replacing the patch cord between your modem and the wall, then replace the phone jack on the wall, a little oxidation can ruin your day
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Do you have all the Filters in the relevant places? If so it may be worth replacing the one your PC is on. If you have a dodgy filter it is possible to get dissconnected everytime someone phones you.

The length of your phone line shouldn't have much, if any, impact on the service providing the cable is intact....

I agree, compared to the length of cable between you and the exchange, the distance within your house is negligable.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Sometimes those drops are due to improperly insulated phone wires. I've been through this with DSL. Personally, to me, DSL will never be truly viable until complete fiber optics are used in a given area.

OK kyoji,

Where are you and what provider are you using?................what is the service supposed to be?

I use BT (I am in the UK) and do not have much of a problem............... you can get problems if water gets into the system.............

I would get your DSL provider to check your line............ they can possibly increase the "gain" on your connection?

AFAIK increasing the Gain only works for dial up?

You are probably right from a technical viewpoint, but I know they can do some sort of "tweaking" for ADSL?

It is the same copper wire system I suppose?

Beyond my technical capabilities I am afraid