Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem with ADSL

That's interesting Boodymantroy ... I used to wonder why overnight was so much worse, not just for me but for everyone new to maxdsl when it first came out! It's not a problem now, although overall I'd say there are probably more overnight disconnects than daytime, but not enough to pay any attention to. I'd always thought it was for the same kind of reason speeds drop at night, ie overuse of contended bandwidth or whatever.

Just a small point - are connections inherently flakier then in the winter? When the copper must be in a fairly contracted state all the time?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

We have the problem at all times of the year. But typically during the winter the wire opens enough to where we can measure and fix it. On a cold enough day the wire wont even let dial tone pass. So someone will call in the outtage and we can measure the wire to see how long it is. Most of the time it can be found easily. But to give a direct answer, yes during the winter the copper contracts more often and gives us more work to do.

I have ASDL and my ISP recomends no longer then 5 feet. I have also done some tshooting for a friend who was experinceing many cut offs as well as extreamly slow preformance. The solution in her cas was a bad modem, once replaced the problem disapeared.

I have also made the mistake in the past of puting the line filter conected to the modem, this is wrong, the line filters install on each phone and not the modem.

Your line could be noicey or afected by bad weather. On an off note a cable broadband customer I tested for also was haveing conection problems which I could not solve, we made an apointment for the cable tech to come and it was weather had shorted out some connector on the outside.
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

All true - I should point out that I'm not currently experiencing any problems at all We had a fault on the phone line at the weekend, which was very quickly sorted out by BT and I was very impressed with their service! Calls were directed to my mobile until the fault was repaired, at no extra cost to the caller. The engineer called at 8 am Sunday morning to tell us it had all been sorted - considering I only reported it Saturday night, that isn't bad at all!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I've been known to clean out some insect homes from the older style Telco connection boxes. Then you have to clean all of that green stuff and make the connections clean.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot