Thread: Ip Alias

Ip Alias

Hello again,
    I am searching for some ip alias software for windows XP. The trick is to connect one pc with one LAN car into two networks. I have installed virtual network card driver, but the other computers can't find it.
    BGDevS
    [gloworange]www.peaksoft.info [/gloworange]

You cant have a workstation with 1 network card appear to be on 2 networks unless you are using VLANS. What are you trying to accomplish?

Just Another Geek
    You don't need to use VLANs to "appear" to be on 2 networks.. Adding another IP address and subnet mask will do..

Network Connections -> Properties of the "Local Area Connection" -> Properties of "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" -> Alternate Configuration.

Still leaves the question though, "Why?"
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Um assigning an address under "alternate configuration" doesn't allow you to have 2 ip addresses assigned to the same interface. However you can add a secondary IP to a XP box under the Advanced TCP/IP settings tab. However, we need a better understanding of what you hope to accomplish.

Hi,
    My friend showed me this trick in Linux, but can't do it in Windows. He tells me that I need IP alias. Thats all and I want to try it.
    BGDevS

Well um, what was the trick? Without information I cant help you.

The trick is to connect a pc with 1 LAN card into 2 subnets with WinXP
    BGDevS

Quote Originally Posted by Net2Infinity
    Um assigning an address under "alternate configuration" doesn't allow you to have 2 ip addresses assigned to the same interface. However you can add a secondary IP to a XP box under the Advanced TCP/IP settings tab. However, we need a better understanding of what you hope to accomplish.
    I tried to add another IP but it tell that there is conflict with another system in the network. But there is only 2 pc in the network. However i changed the ip and subnet mask but the result was the same ... ?!
    BGDevS

You can run several IP networks on the same ethernet LAN. This is not a normal configuration, but it is a valid one.

Provided there aren't any duplicate addresses (e.g. non-overlapping IP ranges), it should just work.

You can assign several IP addresses to the interface in Windows, which effectively creates another interface.

These do not need to be in the same IP subnet (although they can be). If they aren't, windows will route outgoing traffic as if they were "real" separate networks.

Linux / Unix can also do this, typically via "IP aliases", the effect is the same.

You can however, with any of these, only have one default route.

Mark

Hi,
    Yes I tried this, but it is not working ;(
    There is no such IP i the network, because there is only 1 pc in the second network. I tells me that there is conflict with other machine when I put other IPs too ...
    BGDevS