Thread: Pushing Updates and Applications

Pushing Updates and Applications

How do you go about pushing applications from your server or app server to your desktop computers? I have used Marimba and ByPush in the past, but I think those were company designed.

Hello ITG,

Can I have a clue as to the OS on the server and on the clients you want to distribute to.................. also, how many clients and is there a time window for the deployment?..............are they lan/wan/ physically distributed?

It isn't as simple as you think mate I once deployed an app using a virus code that I modified the payload for...........took me almost half an hour to persuade the boss that we couldn't be sued for using it

Most I have ever done was 14,000 clients in 12 locations............that was LAN/WAN and physical because of the differences between the sites.

Cheers,

I am running Windows 2003 Server and each client should have at Windows XP. The pushes will be over 4 domains to less than 250 computers.

I used to do support for Dell when I lived in Memphis Tn.(outsourced to Stream)
    We had mainframe app call "DPS" with an GUI app on top called "CAPS"
    The apps were on dell server's in Texas. Everytime the shift changed and the new techs would fire up thier tools the pipe) acouple of DS-3 or T-3s I think) would slow to s crawl. But...it was needed. Dell was outsourcing the support( This was before the India days. I worked 99-00 for stream/dell)
    and they couldn't allow the desktops to store the apps locally.
    Is that your situation?

We utilize SMS for pushing applications out to all of our nodes.

I have seen some companies utilze the login script to do it but there are obvious flaws in using that method.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Info Tech Geek, you worked for Perot? I'm working in an outsourced IT dep't and Perot is moving us into Marimba. I'm supposed to start testing on this tomorrow. Anything I should be looking out for?

This outfit was using SMS, but due to budgetary constraints, they've simply stopped pushing out updates the last couple of years.

Thanks...
    Last edited by brokencrow; November 17th, 2006 at 04:46 AM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

You can use group policies to push installs.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...lications.html