Thread: Back up

Hybrid View

Question Back up

I just upgraded my security software and was browsing through the interface getting acquainted with things.
    In the area dealing with how it should handle any infections when detected there's a checkbox that asks if it should backup files before cleaning them.

Does this run the risk of sort of 'cloning' the infection or is the malicious code/script filtered before the file is backed up?

What is the recommended choice for this option?
    "In most gardens they make the beds too soft - so that the flowers are always asleep" - Tiger Lily

Hi,

You don't say which security software you are using, but the ones that I have seen generally literally make a copy of the file to some sort of "restore folder"

This will include what has been detected as malware, but they usually rename the file in some way so it doesn't get activated.

If the cleaning attempt fails and your system becomes unstable you can use the "restore mechanism" in your security software to put the original file back. You can then attempt to clean it by other means or just replace it with a fresh copy.

You will probably find that you have the options to "quarantine" or delete files that cannot be cleaned. This is a similar process; if you chose "quarantine" it will either copy and delete or move the file in question. Once again it will be stored with a different name and a non-executable extension.

EDIT: You should find somwhere amongst the "tools" or "options" that you can delete backups and quarantined items
    Last edited by nihil; November 17th, 2006 at 02:36 PM.