Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word of warning, a router's faite

Exclamation Word of warning, a router's faite

I would like to give my fairwell to my Dlink DI 524, and a warning. You might view this as silly but it could easily happen to anyone...

While troubleshooting a internet connection problem, I decided to try a power reset where I would unplug the power, wait and replug. Since my router and my modem were side by side, I would save time and do both at the same time. When i plugged back in I mistakenly plugged the wrong adapter into the router.

The result was it fried my wifi, leaving me with a wired router. I have purchased a new Netgear 624 and would like to advice people to be cautious when plugging in power adapters. Since adapters come in various voltage outputs as well as different sized connectors, it is entirely possible to plug in the wrong adapter.

A similar fate could happen with Sata hard drives if one were to use both pwr connectors, lucky I read the manual before installing my hard drive.

Cheers.
    Last edited by mirado.kelly; November 30th, 2006 at 07:14 AM.
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

Copy the heads-up, though of no immediate concern of mine.

... but I'd be watching this thread just to know if this is true for all other D-link products.

Peace (as HTRegz is oft to say)!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This isn't specific to D-Link. If you plug in the wrong adapter on any device, the result is toast in most cases.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I see it about once a month when I get Dsl calls. Someone has a router and our modem, low and behold they cant get online, so the call our helpdesk and thats one of the things people are told to do. Unplug everything, i wouldn't doubt if they add defrosting the fridge while at it. Anyways, when the time comes to plug everything back in that where the chaos starts, phone line to the dial up port, filter hooked the modem, ethernet cord left on the floor and usb goes into whatever fits. Hmm, now the power. At least they have 50/50 chance if those are the only two plugs left unhooked to something. So don't feel too bad Mirado.Kelly, its happens often.

Antionline Herpetologist
    I always unplug the adapter from the wall socket (or extension socket) rather than the device to prevent this problem. But brainfarts happen to the best of us

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Blast From the Past
    my first dlink router got hit by lightning... the resulting signal strength was 20% 10 feet from the router clear line of sight

power is a, well, powerfull thing... too much or not enough can screw with your devices...
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

Banned
    I've done similar things heaps of times over the years, the most recent one would of been 4weeks ago.
    had a stressful day came home, and decided i'd plug in my new router, modem etc, set them all up on the shelf, and stupid me didn't take notice on what i was plugging what connector into.
    plugged them all in, walked over to the power outlet turned the switch on and poof.
    some funky smelling hardware cooked to perfection. Luckily i was able to claim it all on house and contents insurance, just blaimed it on a power surge.
    just waiting for the new gear to arrive so i'm stuck using my old hardware until it all arrives..

cheers
    acidtone..

Get yourself a brother p-touch label maker and label the ends of them.

http://www.brother.com/

I always end up with a drawer full of power supplies and have no idea what they go to. I got fed up with it and started labeling them all. That sure made things a lot easier.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

That is a great tip phishphreek80, I will be sure to do that.

Ive always known where all my hardware plugs in and have a assumption that you cant mess up, well besides the power thing proving me wrong, I have recently learned two very important things. That the serial DB-25 connector on some external modems are not compatible with the DB-25 Parallel connector at the back of the computer. I was advised plugging either a external modem or an old SCSI device into this parallel port would surely do damage. Anyone experience this?
    MyBox:

Asus P5VDC-MX
    Celeron 2.8GHz
    512MB DDR 400
    WD 250GB SATA
    DVD-ROM, CD-RW
    Thermaltake 430W PSU
    Netgear WGT624 Router

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I'm not sure you could do damage plugging a serial device into a parallel port. It's not going to work but the levels should all be TTL, 0 to 5 volts, most devices would have pull up resistors built into the circuit to prevent a dead short to ground.

I may be wrong but I'm not certainly going to try it on purpose.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot