Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: conceptualizing infinity

Hi

I like the discussion here, however, I am a bit short of time so I will
    pick out 2 points only.

No 2 objects can occupy the same space simultaneously but 1 object can occupy 2 different locations at the same period in time (or appear to.)
    That's a strange remark. What's an object? Myself, I am an object, and
    at the same time, a part of myself is at the floor while another is up in the air

That's a simple pictures, but actually shows some thruth:

Define object. Then, define how you describe the object: Are you using
    wave-function for the quantum object? Are you using a quantum field? Note
    that Quantum Field Theory is more fundamental since Quantum Theory, since
    the quanta emerge from the field.

In this qm-sense the object actually is everywhere (based on the Kopenhagener
    interpretation of the wave function \psi: propabililty |\psi|^2), however,
    when you measure it, it is somewhere with a particular uncertainty (Heisenberg).
    Since you don't know where it is (exactly), how can you say it is at several
    positions at the same time?

Even more - it is still not clear whether electrons are point-like. It is still not
    clear how quarks and gluons actually "look" like - the more energy you pull to
    be able to resolve space more clearly, the more you see that quarks and
    gluons consist of quarks and gluons...

I've never really understood the explanations as to why entanglement isn't evidence of information moving faster than light. If that is so isn't it also so that an electron particle is occupying 2 locations simultaneously?
    In simple words: because you don't know of entanglement until you compare
    results. You only can compare results without violating causality. I have written
    something more here[1]. As a consequence of the famous experiment,
    quantum cryptology[2] gets its foundation - and _not_ violation of causality.

Cheers

[1] http://antionline.com/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=10
    [2] http://www.idquantique.com/ (see papers herein)
    Last edited by sec_ware; November 22nd, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

If that doesn't melt your eyes out of their sockets ...... Einstein didn't even like it, lol!
    Albert hated the idea. The uncertainty principle underlies the idea of entanglement. And it was tough for Einstein to accept that a local system could affect a remote system. Especially when it happens across the galaxy. But I think even he succumbed to it's logic as Earth time progressed. Reminds my of a favourite quote:

"The more success the quantum mechanics has, the sillier it looks." - A. Einstein.

Einstein was alive with Born Schrodinger and Heisenberg etc and worked with some of them.

Too add a pun or twist on the original post. If a measurement device was "infinitely" precise. There would be no uncertainty in measurement of momentum and position. And it is easy to get caught up with another mirror copy of myself enjoying a hot cup of coffeed floating around time and space in an infinite reality, however we are talking about single "particle" that is a weeeeee bit tiny. If all the particles (million of billions) that make up me ended up at the exact same "time" in a particular "position" and at the same "momentum" that would be highly... impobable. Perhaps infinitely improbable.

We could all jump on the Heart of Gold and swish around the universe. (referece to the improbability drive space ship stolen by Zaphod)
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Heh, or the bistromatic. That'd be even better. (Sorry for interrupting a serious discussion)

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica
    No 2 objects can occupy the same space simultaneously...
    I'm a bit rusty on my multidimensional theory, but isn't it possible for 2 objects to occupy the same space provided their molecules vibrate at the same frequency? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

I'm a bit rusty on my multidimensional theory, but isn't it possible for 2 objects to occupy the same space provided their molecules vibrate at the same frequency? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Not directed at me but some thoughts;

It seems that if two objects are vibrating at the same frequency they would cancel one another. It would have be different frequencies?

But in the case of mechanics, two objects cannot be in the same quantim state at the same time. And thus two objects cannot occupy the same "space".

This deals only with matter. Speaking of frequency and my opening statement. Light and radiation can pass thru matter. The key is Thru. But looking at particles in the quantum or classical sense; no two object can occupy the same space. That is have the same quantum state or "spin".

At the molecular level this is especially true. In a popular sense regarding the ideal of alternate dimensions; one could tune to the "frequency" of the dimension they cannot see. Those dimensions still exist within our physical universe. They are just undetectable by our senses. An example could be molecules moving faster than we can detect with out eyes. We cannot "detect" light moving through space as we are, but we can see its effect on objects.

For instance the light reflected from this table. Which happens to be in the wavelength or "frequency" our eyes detect via the retina and the receptors there as "white". Although we cannot see it moving, nor does it occupy space in the sense matter does, as it travels from fluorescent tube to the table.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Objects need to be at opposing frequencies to cancel one another...

Quote Originally Posted by RoadClosed
    Not directed at me but some thoughts;
    But in the case of mechanics, two objects cannot be in the same quantim state at the same time. And thus two objects cannot occupy the same "space".
    (...)
    That is have the same quantum state or "spin"

Well, this is only true for fermions (simplified spoken). An unlimited number of
    bosons can share the same quantum state - which is even visible on a
    macroscopic level - the boson-einstein condensate. Superconductivity goes
    along the same line, however here, fermions are involved. The (still not
    proven, but generally accepted) BCS-theory says that fermions build bosonic
    structures (cooper pairs), which then can condensate, ie. they will share the
    same (lowest-energy) quantum state.

as per "molecules". Molecules, consists of atoms, themselves consisting of
    tiny electrons and a nucleus, which itself consists of protons and neutrons,
    themselves consisting of quarks and gluons - essentially, a "molecule" is empty.

The only reason a "molecule" cannot "occupy the space" of another "molecule"
    is the interaction of their components -
    at large length scale (low energy), this is the electromagnetic force,
    at small length scale (high energy) this is the strong force (essentially).
    If you accelerate molecules (ie you pump energy in the system), they
    eventually will "occupy the same space" when colliding

Cheers
    Last edited by sec_ware; November 29th, 2006 at 03:04 PM.

BCS-theory says that fermions build bosonic
    structures (cooper pairs), which then can condensate, ie. they will share the
    same (lowest-energy) quantum state.
    I read a great deal of the theory when it was tested in Boulder. Kind of forgot about that. I need to look at it again. It creates a "special" material by super cooling paricles using a laser. Back to the physics lab of Colodado State. I thought it created a sort of mass but they didn't occupy the same space. In my argument however I used "quantum state". I shall return.

//EDIT oh and I was refering to fermions.
    West of House

... well my ****ing head hurts now. Don't have much time but..

As usual when I go back and read somthing, and given the reading of other articles in the mean time I learn something new.

bosnian particles are special. The condensate uses bosnian particles only. Most likely because they use a photon? There is nothing in quantum mechanics that says this cannot happen, in fact it predicts it. This is something new. It is a new form of matter, and the word new is key here. **** when I look at it more I get freaked out. Due to the nature of this substance it could OVERCOME gravity! In the years that have passed more has been made and it's getting easier to store. Can't wait to see what it's used for in the future say... 20 years.
    West of House

Hi

Due to the nature of this substance it could OVERCOME gravity!
    Interesting thought. How so? (Are you refering to the floating magnet?[1] )

In the years that have passed more has been made and it's getting easier to store. Can't wait to see what it's used for in the future say... 20 years.
    Right

Cheers

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO2eDJBr50E