Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need tips & stratagies for Wargames

I don't think any one else should respond to this thread and I kindly ask any moderator to close this thread.

I do believe Mr. Loxley was being sarcastic, if not ironic.

He has doubtless marked this thread as being of interest, and has not received a reply?

One of the really annoying things I find with forums is that people do not have the good manners to "close" threads.

Sure, they post when they have problems, and we do our best to help, based on our personal experiences, trying to recreate problems, phoning and e-mailing friends................

Then? poof! the thread just dies.......................... that really p1$$e$ me off. The way we learn is to look at the solutions suggested and match that which works to the symptoms? No feedback = no learning???????????

No, I don't know why he wanted an answer to that particular thread, other than I am aware of his employment and he is in the UK

I just think the thread is sketchy and I didn't think I was being rude :-/

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    as per Johnno's comments
    this is one of several threads I have tagged
    I just got curious
    as for closing the thread ....... why ?
    it don't eat much
    and the OP may just get his ass back in here and finish the post off properly
    it's one of my pet peeves
    I just like closure
    and beer natch

it's all part of working in this IT world
    sometimes you HAVE to get the user to reply to tell you its OK
    but they don't even THINK of us in the background [2nd line application support for now] we get a reply we close the call
    jobs a gud'un
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Foxy~ is right,

Level1 solutions are generally user understanding. Once you get to level 2 or higher we appreciate the feedback very much. In fact you will generally find quite sophisticated analysis mechanisms attached to the call handling system.

That way we can determine the most probable solutions and play a percentage game?

oofki, it wasn't you I was referring to, just those people who don't give us feedback. Professionally I hate closing something because it is "time expired"........... it somehow just doesn't "feel right"?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Once you get to level 2 or higher we appreciate the feedback very much.
    Yow, dunno 'bout that, nihil. Had a really bitter experience yesterday
    with 'rox's level 2 regarding their big printers. Any level of support is
    going to have its share of boobs. During my 2nd round with level 2 today,
    the analyst kept saying, "It shouldn't be doing that."

Doh.

Support...on any level...is an experiment in some companies...caveat emptor...
    Last edited by brokencrow; June 15th, 2007 at 04:13 AM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Yes, I can see that there is a difference in what is meant by the various levels in different organisations, particularly if they don't deal with the general public.

Your man sounds like a trainee......... instead of "It shouldn't be doing that." he should have said "That's funny, my one doesn't do that"

Reminds me of the time I told my director that you shouldn't say that to users, and she replied:

"No Johnno, you are perfectly correct..................but you have to admit it is fun, isn't it?"

I think its good to notify someone that their machine isnt operating within normal parameters. me and my dad worked for dec and we used to give out pins that said its not supposed to do that with a picture of the hitchhikers guide green dot thingy on it.

oh but one thing about windows firewall, you could always be the first to come up with a way to exploit the background intelligent transfer service built into windows. it bypasses the windows firewall. you could always pretend to be a windows update server.