Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't go to WAYN.com

Don't go to WAYN.com

OK,

I am a bit pissed off about this site and its practices. Its just basically someone trying to clone myspace but using viral tactics to do so.

Basically what happens is.

when signing up it asks you for your passwords for gmail, msn, yahoomail etc. so it can import contacts and save you doing it manually.

being ever suspicious away I went and set up 3 e-mail accounts on each server.

When I signed the first one up with all others in the contacts list of it guess what happens next.

The other mail boxes now all recieve spam through WAYN saying that someone has left them a message (basically how I found it.)

These messages don't go away and keep flooding in from various addresses so they can't be blocked.

But wait. Surely thats not it.

No, your right. When I processed the cookies and security from the site there plain as day was the mail box password I just fed to the site.

It gets better though. I then tried to close the account to see if it would still insist that the site had mail box 1 as a member and send spam to other mail boxes.

Strangely enough WAYNs unregister and delete account button causes an error and doesn't work. Like fight club its once in never out.

the phrase bastards comes to mind and other than the viral tactics this is a good site both in concept and in content.

shame they are going to skyrocket to fame in all the wrong ways.

I encourage others to experiment with this site and confirm / add to my findings.

Banned

WAYN works for me

Not sure about that actually - I did the same test and yes, you can have the option of inviting your friends to the service - by the way, thats what all social networks do - and you can decide who to invite and they have a "skip this step" link so to be fair to WAYN, its pretty clear what is presented to the user. You invite your friends or you dont - anyway, I went on and invited two friends (they are my brothers anyway so they wont mind and then went on to delete my account right away and worked without a problem so I am not sure what path you may have taken that was different to mine? I also received few invites from mates before and I still have kept a few in my hotmail and yahoo inbox and you can clearly opt out at the bottom of these emails - I wanted to check though and it worked without problems for me again? I am probably going to register again as the site seems actually quite interesting!

Banned

RE: WAYN works fine

I am a member of Bebo, Linked and WAYN too and they all seem to act on the same basis - nothing wrong about the process as long as you read whats on the page - quoted from the site: "By inviting your friends you are confirming that you have obtained consent from your friends to send them an invitation" - I then went on some testing too and logged onto my gmail account - it was pretty clear that the site would invite my contacts automatically but then, I clearly opted out as I didnt want that to happen - it is the user choice at the end of the day so Laurie has a good point. As to the cookies bit, I am not sure what happened but it did not feed anything in the field - same on Bebo and Linkedin - These invites can be a hindrance I can see why..But hey, you dont have to send them in the first place

its a pretty clever idea for a site but its the sort of place that to get anything useful out of it you have to stump up the subscription. Im sure they're making lots of money.

Why do I get the feeling that both Jeezer79 & Lauriebella just registerd to this site to try to negate the bad publicity? They both joined today and wouldn't you know it, this post shows up in google's top list of links when searching for "WAYN.com" I'd also guess if the admins/mods checked out the IPs of these accounts... they'd be related. Maybe the "marketing team" of that website?

A little suspicious if you ask me. As a longtime member, I'd trust mark_boyle2002's opinion over someone who just joined today. But, thats just me.

What's next in the google list? Another person complaining about their "spamming" tatics.
    http://www.misterorange.com/2005/11/wayn-warning.html

Even the wiki has some criticism about thier tatics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAYN#Criticism

Mark, maybe you should update the wiki with your cookie finding? Wouldn't it be fairly trivial to read that cookie from another site (phishing site?) to grab the UID and PWD for various email accounts?
    Last edited by phishphreek; November 23rd, 2006 at 01:02 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Avoid WAYN.com ?

From my experience WAYN.com are well worth streering clear of.

Dubious practices IMHO

I would boycott WAYN.com to be honest.

Perhaps WAYN.com should rethink their policies

Does anyone else here think WAYN.com are exhibiting poor security with user details?

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AOs Resident Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.milner

Does anyone else here think WAYN.com are exhibiting poor security with user details?

Steve
    Absolutely...........because of Marks post...I know to avoid it.

a site asking for peoples passwords????

Come on...........
    even my kids know better then that....(note to self....remind the kids NEVER give your PASSWPORD to ANYONE!!!!!...osmosis )

Thanks for the heads up guys

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; November 23rd, 2006 at 02:55 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

www.lovehappens.com is another one to steer clear of. A friend
    invited me to join. So I thought, what the hell? I tried signing up,
    they even sent me a password (user name = email addy), but I never
    could get logged in with what they sent me. The login page kept
    asking me for my email password (no way!). Talked to my friend
    a couple of weeks later, and she complained of it being a spam site.

Now here's the kicker: guess who owns lovehappens.com?

Monster.com
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Hmmmmm,

I think that phish~ is spot on, here goes..................

1. To share an account is technically incorrect, but might be tolerated in certain circumstances?

2. To just join and post in the same thread about the same thing is like two mormons showing up at your door?

3. These two people have to prove that they are NOT dual accounts...........

I shall act as I see fit?................

EDIT: Mission accomplished
    Last edited by nihil; November 23rd, 2006 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.milner
    From my experience WAYN.com are well worth streering clear of.

Dubious practices IMHO

I would boycott WAYN.com to be honest.

Steve
    I completely agree! WAYN.com might not be official spammers, but I don't think I'd want to do business with them or condone their practices! They're taking every legal way to say "we're not spammers, you agreed that we'd mail everyone you know over and over and over and you're too dumb to know what we were going to do"

It also seems that this link has been removed from google's front page when searching for WAYN.com
    Last edited by phishphreek; November 24th, 2006 at 06:01 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.