Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Year 2038 !!!

Exclamation Year 2038 !!!

i have an email account on yahoo and receiving spams , which is quite common but what im getting from past 2 weeks : spams which r sent on year 2038 like 20 jan 2038.
    i searched on google abt this but didnt get anything interesting, does anybdy knw abt dis ???

"Knowing how to do something that might be harmful is not the same as causing harm."

What do you want to know? Somebody is spamming from a machine with the date set wrong, or they are changing the date in an attempt to trick spam filters... It is just spam, delete it and move on... Nothing intersting..

Hmmmm,

That is mildly interesting..........what is the subject matter of the spam?

The reason that I find it interesting is that the ancient gods, Gog and Magog (otherwise known as Ballmer and Gates) will mark your Windows XP as pirate if it is more than 24 hours adrift from Redmond time?

Also, I haven't come across a spam filter that is time and date driven????

I guess it is just me then.. Spam is spam and it's never really that interesting...

Hi mohaughn,

I think that I have the answer............if you date e-mail into the future it will "float to the top"?????????

There is also some sort of *nix thing with 2038..........? something like 1 billion seconds since 1st January 1970............or whenever *nix thinks the World started

http://www.geektronica.com/tag/unix

subject is " Need Loan? Find FREE Pre-approval today !1129" .. well its fine if i got 1 or 2 mails but till now i have got over 1500 mails in bulk folder of year 2037, 2038 .

Quote Originally Posted by mohaughn
    What do you want to know? Somebody is spamming from a machine with the date set wrong, or they are changing the date in an attempt to trick spam filters... It is just spam, delete it and move on... Nothing intersting..
    Well... im not sure bt i think a machine with the date set wrong will not send mail to specified date coz date and time depends to server (in this case yahoo server ).

AOs Resident Troll
    [QUOTE=Alokpatidar]To mohaughan "What do you want to know? Somebody is spamming from a machine with the date set wrong, or they are changing the date in an attempt to trick spam filters..." Well... im not sure bt i think a machine with the date set wrong will not send mail to specified date coz date and time depends to server (in this case yahoo server ).[\QUOTE]

Unless the server is spoofed too

And yes....I guess depending on how you would sort your mail....it will be right at the top...

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; November 21st, 2006 at 06:53 PM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

hey nihil ... the same came into my mind .. yr. is set to 2038 coz msg will be on the top even after many many days. but is this d only reason ??

AOs Resident Troll
    As stated...

spam is spam is spam is spam

with that subject line...if it got past the spam filter...my junk filter would have caught it....

Guess it would be the first to be deleted when I clear that folder due to the date

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Hmmm, I think that 20th January 2038 is when 32 bit Unix time stops?

If they go beyond that it may not work?

Yes, the intention is certainly to get to the top of your inbox