Thread: Gaming system Specs

Gaming system Specs

I just built me a new gaming system and was wondering if these are good specs.

Motherboard
    Asus M2NPV-VM

RAM
    1 Gig of pc4200 Kingston Ram

CPU
    AMD althlon dual core 64x2 4200 cpu

Graphics
    Geforce 6150 integrated video.

As far as the cd-rom and stuff go I just used the ones out of my old computer.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerSlayer
    I just built me a new gaming system and was wondering if these are good specs.

Motherboard
    Asus M2NPV-VM

RAM
    1 Gig of pc4200 Kingston Ram

CPU
    AMD althlon dual core 64x2 4200 cpu

Graphics
    Geforce 6150 integrated video.

As far as the cd-rom and stuff go I just used the ones out of my old computer.

I would add more ram as more and more games are asking for bigger sizes.
    Don\'t post if you\'ve got nothing constructive to say. Flooding is annoying

It depends on the games you want to play.

I would steer clear of integrated/onboard video for high end gaming (newer FPS and MMORPG games) . I would also recommend 2 GB memory. My wife and I both play games and I'll list our specs and the differences I've noticed.

Her PC:
    Athlon 2500+
    1GB memory
    Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB video

My PC:
    Pentium 4 3.2ghz
    2GB memory
    ATI X800XT 256MB video

World of Warcraft
    Me - Played flawlessly at highest graphic settings looked wonderful.
    Her - Was able to play without problems, but only at lower graphic settings. This game forced the upgrade to 1GB on her PC due to extremely long zone load times and lag during multiple spell effects, etc.

Counter-Strike
    Both - Plays fine on both systems. My system handles smoke, etc. far better.

Counter-Strike:Source
    Me - Plays fine.
    Her - Playable, but only at low settings.

Some games like Age of Empires, Warcraft, Starcraft, Warhammer, etc. play fine on both systems. Just depends on the types of games you plan on playing. After playing FPS games on my new PC I could never play them again on her PC (my old one).

AOs Resident Troll
    IMHO

Dont use an integrated video....use PCI express

Up the RAM to 2gigs

What OS??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    Soundcard is pretty important too these days.. I also would steer clear of integrated video too as you might run into problems with upgrading the videocard.. PCI Express if possible..
    Last edited by SirDice; November 22nd, 2006 at 04:28 PM.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

AOs Resident Troll
    SirDice is right...didnt even think about that...

can you tell I am not a gamer....

all I know...is that games drive desktop hardware....more than any other software out there.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Well eventually I will upgrade the ram on the computer and buy a video card. My old system used a agp video card and when I bought the system I couldnt afford to get a additional pci express video card along with the other stuff i bought. So I settled for a board with integrated video. I tested it on Battlefield 2 last night and was able to run it on the highest graphical settings in a full 64 player map and ran flawlessly. Haven't really tested it on any other games yet. Got to admit though the dual core processor makes thing fast as hell.

Graphics cards are a huge component for gaming, even to the point of making a pokey/slow computer run games great. They should definitely not be shortchanged or overlooked. I've held off doing a new gaming rig build for this very reason. DirectX10 cards are just starting to hit the market and the capabilities of the DirectX10 cards are massively / monstrously better. A good comparision of Nvidia platforms can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/11/...800/page4.html

As you should be able to tell from the table, the new 8800 is night and day better.

I would also strongly recommend upping the RAM to 2G...especially for BF2...I saw enormous improvement with BF2 after doing that.

Another thing to not overlook is a HDD. I have a 10k RPM 36G SATA II drive in my current system and it is so much faster, I am frequently the first person into a server (for example in BF2 when it switches map). A fast HDD can make a big difference with games that must do alot of loading (for example RPGs).

As far as the processor goes, you did ok, but unless something changes before I do my next upgrade, I plan on purchasing the Intel Core 2 Duo...Intel finally got the performance edge (and substantially I might add, at least at the moment). And this is coming from someone who has gone through a long chain of AMD processors (athlons all the way to the amd64).

Another minor thing would be the sound card. It can make a difference in how clearly you hear things, how much of a load high quality sound places on your system, etc. For example, a good quality sound card could prevent 'lagging' in BF2 when you get alot of sound sources (think a major battle) and will also help with hearing people approach further away, thus improving your chances of getting the jump on them.

Just some thoughts on what you have and where I'll be going on the next upgrade.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

i guess you need atleast 1 gb of ram, two gb of ram wouldnt make any difference imho. ratios my dear..ratios!

i see mostly older games being used as benchmark..why hasnt anyone mentioned FEAR, AOE3, FarCry, Painkiller, Call of Duty 2, Prey and Company of heroes.

Infact Silent Hunter 3, which is a submarine sim requires 1 gb min and crashes on my 512 setup!

With extremely detailed eye candy like what Crysis has to offer, it becomes imperative that you should have a scalable motherboard which supports SLI and a possible SLI based system.

Crysis Thumbs:
    http://www.fz.se/bildarkiv/album_show.php?id=1154

You can always stick to you onboard soundcard since 5.1 is the defacto standard and some boards even carry 7.1 support. Probably a force feedback joystick would be more fun?!

Morever with a good amount of ram and a good gfx card, your CPU would be relatively less stressed and can handle the sound processing easily.

Cheers and happy gaming!
    Last edited by chizra; November 23rd, 2006 at 03:48 AM.
    Hindsight is an exact science.
    MudBubble

Get a gaming system from http://l-computer.com/
    Computers do not have problems, they have users.
    ~Cope57