Thread: okay is this possible

okay is this possible

right is it possible to get one computer to talk to another through two wireless routers?

eg

Computer1--(cable)--W.router --(wireless)--W.router--(cable)--Computer 2

yes its possible if they are in the same domain/workgroup in windows.
    \\\\Everlasting

Hey Hey,

First off... WTF does workgroup/domain in Windows have to do with two computers communicating.. (xenogamer == idiot, no offense)

Now... on to the question..

Computer -- Wireless Router --- Wireless Router --- Computer

That's what I see.. so you're basically saying

i) No Internet Connection involved
    ii) Computer A is connected to WiFiRouter A
    iii) Computer B is connected to WiFiRouter B
    iv) Router A is connected to Router B

The answer is... It depends on the routers...

One of the two routers requires the ability to connect to the other router..

Linksys -- WRT54G supports this (Not sure if it's with default firmware though) -- BEFW11S3 doesn't... So check your routers documentation on the modes that it supports.

Rather than using wireless routers, if you shun their routing ability, and just make them behave as bridges, then you can certainly do this.

Routing is a red herring- you don't need any routing to do the above. Simply configure the two accesspoints as bridges (which they usually do by default), and it will work.

Of course if these have built-in DHCP servers, at least one of them must be disabled. Both must have static IP addresses which are on the same netblock but not the same and not in the DHCP range.

But the IP address of the accesspoints is irrelevant in two PCs talking to each other.

Two PCs will be able to talk if:

- They are both on the same ethernet segment, logically (Seeing as most accesspoints behave as bridges, it's logically the same ethernet segment)
    - They have IP addresses in the same netblock (usually the easiest way of doing this is having them both assigned by the same DHCP server)

Mark

I'm a bit confused by this.

The OP wanted to connect a cable from each PC to a router and then allow the routers to connect to each other, so allowing the PCs to talk to each other wirelessly. Would it be possible to cut out one of the routers so a single router is connected to PC(1) via a cable and then PC(2) connects to the router wirelessly? This would be cheaper - if it worked.

The comment of slarty is interesting - presumably connect each PC to an accesspoint via a cable and then allow the accesspoints to communicate? Again, I'd ask if the second accesspoint is necessary - could PC(2) connect wirelessly to the accesspoint which is connected to PC(1) via the cable?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    I think if you re-read it, poster just wants two PC's to connect wirelessly
    IP config / domain not withstanding

Yes they can talk
    just bear in mind HT's bit
    they have to be compatable

standard connection would be telecom to router [cable]to PC [wireless]

poster wants two routers ..............
    and he wants cable to the routers

anyone else see the upcoming problems with this scenario ........
    maybe poster could add details

some whys wouldn't be amiss
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I think I completely misread the question- I described a scenario for having two wireless nodes out of range of each other talking via a pair of accesspoints and a wired network.

What the OP wanted to do was quite the opposite - have two wired nodes communicate via a wifi segment in the middle.

The latter is certainly possible but only with certain models of accesspoint. At least one of the accesspoints/routers needs to be capable of operating as a wifi "client" node (rather than an access point per se).

Some also support a "Distribution node" mode- I think maybe this can be used to implement the OP's requirement as well.

Slarty

Do you know of any accesspoints/routers that can operate in both modes? I have a Netgear router and it only works in "standard" mode.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    MSI do USB / PCMCIA / PCI versions of a wireless card, that can be swithed into AP mode too, so you could have one set as AP and one as client ??

but now a second question

WHY ???
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I know that I can link two PCs directly via a cross-over cable for file sharing, backup etc., and I just wanted to know if I could do the same thing wirelessly.