Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Old Days Are Gone....

Unhappy The Old Days Are Gone....

The good ol' days of hackers and phreakers are gone. No more will we see the likes of Cap'n Crunch, Bernie S., Emmanuel Goldstein, The_triad, Phiber Optik, Doc Holiday, Zer0cool, Acid_Burn, Weevil, or even P4NTz + H4G1S. In fact, Cap'n Crunch answers questions on ICQ and runs a business named WebCrunchers out of Stockton, California; The_triad can be found on Yahoo! (as always), and he runs a Computer Forensics business out of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

The best of the best have hung up their hats and moved on. The world has changed dramatically because of their findings, teachings, and exploits. However, no one else has been able to match them.

One of the possible reasons is because of the increase in awareness, lack of reporting, and the number of "Script Kiddies" in existence today. The good old fashioned hacker can no longer be proud to hold the title, as it has been sullied by those with little to no experience who crusade not for knowledge, but for their own petty gains. Where now can we find the old ones; where have all the wise ones gone?

I really believe that the public has become so aware of crackers (they're not hackers, we all know this; they are crackers, wannabes, and Script Kiddies") that they have taken two radical stances: to generalize the category and prosecute everyone, or to join the masses and become part of the problem.

The old-school hacker was one who did it to gain knowledge. Sure, we were a little conceited, and highly egotistical, but we had good reason to be. We were the best. We were elite. We 0wn3d the world. And what we learned, we passed on so that others could continue. Every bit of security, antivirus protection, et cetera, exists because someone was willing to challenge that which existed.

However, with the release of so many new viruses each day, one may be lead to believe the hacker community is still alive and well. True, while the community is vibrant, inhaling code and exhaling binary machine instructions, the morals and ethics are gone. And even worse, the ranks have been abandoned. Now, one is considered a hacker when he or she can operate a bot in an AOL chat room.

And this is the neocultural environment that is hacking today.

No longer can you find someone who builds their own blue box, black box, beige box, or the elusive rainbow box. Very seldom can you even find a "txtphile" explaining how to decypher Pay-Per-View with aluminum foil. Of course, the methods of encryption have changed, but where is the community that once challenged that? Remember how Cap'n Crunch used a 2600MHz pitch to make free calls at payphones using the old Cap'n Crunch whistle? What about when The_triad released the entire algorithm of Social Security number assignments? And does anyone remember the mid-90's when P4NTZ + H4G1S defaced the now-number-one site in the world, Yahoo!, among others?

Kids nowadays don't know these things. We are an elite and dying breed.

At the rate we are moving now, it seems unfortunate that the world of technology may noticeably slow down, unless the hacking community gains some inspiration to come to the forefront again, and soon.

Thankfully, not all hackers have gone completely away. Aside from mentioning Cap'n Crunch, The_triad, and Emmanuel Goldstein, there is also the group from L0pht, who now run @Stake (http://www.@stake.com, or just simple stake.com). Not to be forgotten, as well, is eEye Digital Security, whose Retina suite is a phenomenal addition to any expert's toolbox. Still, now that the old blackhats have become greyhats at best, can we honestly expect any successful uprising from the hacker community?

Still, I hold out hope against hope that the underworld isn't dead, but sleeping. I seriously hope it will be back, but I think the old days of the messiah-like hackers are gone. I honestly can't say I see another Mitnick coming out.

So, for myself (an old hacker, too - one you've heard of ;-) ), I have to admit I miss the good old days. When I think about times on the old ShadoWorld BBS with the LoD (Lords of Destruction), I get virtually misty-eyed.

Someday we should have a reunion....

.... for directions, follow the FBI cars.

[ANONYMOUS]
    ----
    If you knew my name, it would give away the fun and mystery. Sure, you\'d believe every word I said then, because you know who I am.... but what would be the fun in that?

Remember how Cap'n Crunch used a 2600MHz pitch to make free calls at payphones using the old Cap'n Crunch whistle? What about when The_triad released the entire algorithm of Social Security number assignments? And does anyone remember the mid-90's when P4NTZ + H4G1S defaced the now-number-one site in the world, Yahoo!, among others?

Kids nowadays don't know these things. We are an elite and dying breed.
    I don't doubt the abilities of those you have mentioned here, but a true hacker would never engage in this type of activity.

<edited spelling>

Well, actually, I beg to differ. A true hacker is not a whitehat, but a greyhat. Hackers do things that they know are wrong in order to learn. However, its when these things are abused that they are really wrong.

Anyone who considers themselves a hacker would agree with this. Can you honestly say you learned everything you know by reading? No, you tried things, despite knowing they were not entirely legal or ethical, by societal standards.

Fine, we do this, get away with it, and learn from it. However, when you abuse this knowledge, that's when you're wrong. When you take it to the next level, you are wrong. When you do things for monetary or other fiscal or material gain, you are wrong. When you do things for the sake of damage, you are wrong.

However, when you do things for knowledge, improvement, and the advancement of technology, you are the epitomy of a hacker.
    ----
    If you knew my name, it would give away the fun and mystery. Sure, you\'d believe every word I said then, because you know who I am.... but what would be the fun in that?

Actually, i do agree with your first two statements here, but how does defacing a site that does not belong to you help you learn?

Heh.... that was thrown in for fun, just to see if anyone remembered it. If you remember seeing it, you remember how stupid it was, too. They bragged about infecting "the Internet," and that the antidote would only be found on a computer in the middle of Antartica or something.

As far as condoning it, though, I seriously don't. I would sure as heck never want one of my sites defaced. Sure, some are really creative (like when whitehouse.gov and cia.gov were hit), but I really don't agree with it nonetheless. That falls into my "destruction" category.

Like I said, it was just a reminiscent point of reference. ;-)
    ----

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hmmm, i could have sworn that LoD stands for Legion of Doom, atleast thats what the oldschoolers call em. Do you follow my meaning behind the lines?
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Banned

I was waiting for that Negative.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    hey NEG, seriously now....you were joking right??? This isnt really captain crunch? And he isnt an AO member is he??

/me startles
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

He's got his very own thing under his name too.

"aka Captain Crunch"

That's kinda cool.

That's him cause i've seen him on TSS a few times.