Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a way to find a company's IP?

LOL - sounds about right. They focus on the wrong things IMHO, ie it's more important to answer calls because that delivers the required service level, even if you're telling the customer to p1ss off rather than take a few minutes to help them (because the idea is to get them off the phone quickly so you can move onto the next call).

And I don't post on MySpace. None of you seem to get it. I'm interested in whether it's possible to find out the IP address of a site, that's all, without necessarily surfing from a PC using the that IP address.

I have a website for 3 reasons. One, it gives me the chance to say what I like without censorship (obviously within reason, but I can more or less say what I like about anything I want). Two, it's a great way to stay in touch with relatives and friends all over the world who enjoy seeing up to date news and photos etc. I've had some fantastic chance connections with people I'd never have heard from again if they hadn't come across the site almost by accident. Third, it gives me the chance to play around with simple HTML - I'm not interested in web design, I'm definitely not the artistic type and I just write everything in notepad (well, editpad actually).

And I suppose it started for a reason (I had a cat which died and I decided to create a webpage in his memory and it sort of grew from there - I was offered free hosting etc etc), it's not relevant to go into all that here.

Let's just forget it ....
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

No.. Without knowing something about the machine that you are trying to get the IP address for you will not be able to pull the IP address out of the air. You would need to know a service provider, hostname, something in order to get the IP.

This link might be useful:

http://www.dnsstuff.com

If you want to block a large organisation like SiteL you will probably have to block an IP address range rather than a single one. If you find one assigned address and run a "Whois?" search, that should tell you the assigned address block or range

Many thanks, I'll check it out

Edit Didn't seem much of a way to look it up without knowing their ISP or hostname or something. No matter, I'll keep it in mind if I ever can find out more.
    Last edited by Moira; November 26th, 2006 at 11:31 PM.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature