Thread: Gentoo Portage for OS X

Gentoo Portage for OS X

Hi, just wondering if anyone has installed Gentoo Portage for OS X successfully, and does it allow for any security enhancements? From what I can tell, it's just a proof of concept thing that's not actually finished. I can't seem to find a good set of instructions for doing it. Also, curious as to how it interacts with OS X.

Hi,

I heard about the project over a year ago, then it just dropped off the radar. As far as I am aware it is still being worked on?

IIRC it was a serious project rather than just a POC? but I have no idea what progress has been made.

I also think it's a serious project and it's not completely gone. I can only hope they can get it up and going soon. I would love to have portage on my Mac! I guess I'll get by on darwinports and fink. Those aren't too shabby but they could be better, i.e. have more programs to choose from.

The project showed some real promise, but there doesnt seem to have been any news from it in quite some time.

I had a play with it recently, and it could be so so good, but it just isnt quite there yet. And trying to uninstall the thing is not the most fun thing in the world.

I had limited success with Darwin Ports. I got aterm and irssi installed on an OSX.

http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!