Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AO index.dat viewer download

Hybrid View

AO index.dat viewer download

I see there's an index.dat viewer in the downloads section. Has anyone experience of using it? I launched the downloaded file and saw that it wanted to install to my PC (XP Pro SP2). I'm not keen to have it install it to my PC but would rather have it on a USB thumb drive. Does anyone know if installation does anything to the registry, pre-existing DLL files etc.?

Hopefully, by executing the file, it simply creates the relevant files in the folder that it creates so it is completely portable. Unfortunately, I don't know how to check that it doesn't/won't make any changes to the PC.

Banned
    Edit:>

Well found it, like i said it was staring me straight in the face lol.
    Anyhow by the looks of it it just goes through and deletes cookies, and temp internet files etc.
    It actually found a few more then the other app that generally use.

cheers
    acidtone..
    Last edited by acidtone; November 26th, 2006 at 12:23 AM.

Thank you, but I think you misunderstood my OP.

I guess that the software reviews the index.dat files and allows deletions but I meant about merely installing it on my PC, without actually running the installed file. What I'd like to know is if the installation makes any changes to the registry, pre-existing DLL files etc. or if it simply puts some files into the installation folder. Ideally, what I'd like to do is install it onto a USB thumb drive and be able to run it from there on any PC. That way, I could help friends who wanted to clear out their index.dat files but, for some reason, didn't want to download and install on their PC.

As a matter of interest, I know that index.dat files are recreated following deletion so they can continue to accumulate data. I've heard about deleting, allowing them to be recreated but then immediately changing the attribute to read only via a DOS utility. Does anyone think that this would work now, or have the more recent OSs found a way around that i.e. check the read attribute (and change it, if necessary) every time there's a need to write anything to the files?

Well,

It wants to install itself alright. It creates a program folder, a startup entry and a desktop icon (if you want it to).

I could not detect any attempts at Registry entries or amendments.

The folder contains a help file, a link to their website, an application and uninstall stuff.

EDIT: I copied the executable to a floppy disk and ran it from there, so that is how you can do it: Download, copy to media then uninstall?

Incidentally, it only seems to work for Internet Explorer files
    Last edited by nihil; November 26th, 2006 at 05:18 PM.

That's brilliant - thank you.

You are welcome, incidentally I only used Windows XP SP2 as currently updated.

By the way, if you need it, I have a number of machines of varying specifications, and running 98SE, ME, 2000 SP4 and XP SP2 to test stuff on.............. just post a request if you need it

That's handy to know. As a matter of interest, I've looked into a "test lab" scenario but don't know if it would work. I'd get a high spec PC or laptop and install XP. On top of that, I'd install MS Virtual Machine and then install a variety of OS (98SE, ME and 2000 SP4) so I could flick from one OS to another. Ideally, I'd like to make an image of the drive when it's all set up as I want it, so I don't have to go through the laborious procedure of reinstalling everything separately if something gets corrupted. I suspect that would also prevent my having to reactivate XP Pro via the telephone.

I don't know how feasible this is, or if I'd be better to get a number of separate PCs or laptops.

Sorry, AntiOnline has a downloads section? I'd be interested in viewing my index.dat, where did you find the download for it, if you don't mind me asking?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Hey, Moira my old chapesse............... it is somewhere top right on the intro page

The link is way down the bottom BTW

Oh dear

I'm just totally dumb today I'm afraid - the top right of my pages here look blank

You wouldn't mind posting the link to the download, would you?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature