Thread: DNS problems with Dialup connection

Underground Bunker, somewhere in Antarctica

Unhappy DNS problems with Dialup connection

Yes, there are people who still use dialup >_>

For the past 7 years my parents have subscribed to the same localy-based ISP. It worked great, no real problems to speak of. Slower than normal connections at times, but thats to be expected.

Then, about a month ago, I began to experience problems with consistantly slow connection speed and the connection suddenly dropping out with no other fix than a restart. However, since I was only experiencing these problems with the 5 year old family box thats only been fully purged of malware once, and never significantly updated, I thought it was just the computer showing its age. Take note that when I began getting slower connection speeds the modem made different sounds than usual.

Then about 3 to 4 weeks ago, I began to experience problems connecting the thinkpad I use to this same connection. I would dial in, get a connection, but then while it was verifying the username and password, it would time out because 'the remote computer did not respond'. Again, the modem made slightly different sounds than usual. I figured, maybe the password is wrong. I retyped it, and it worked. Once. Then I tried reconnecting and I got the same message.
    I tried restarting. Nothing. I tried shutting down and then powering up again. Nothing. I tried reducing the modems speed. Nothing. I tried editing the dialing rules. Nothing. I tried doing a system restore back to the last day that the connection worked properly. Still nothing. I was confounded, and I gave up.
    2 weeks ago, the telephone company got our payment late, and turned off our phones for about half a day. When they came back on, I thought that mayhaps the connection would work again now that the phones had been 'reset', so to speak. Lo and behold, it worked! I was overjoyed, I thought my frustration and toil was at an end. After a long day of internet usage without the lag of the ancient family box, I disconnected and went to sleep. The next morning I woke up, ready to do some hardcore surfing and gaming with my mighty 50.2Kbps. I fired up the thinkpad, hit 'Dial' and went to the kitchen to get a drink. Upon returning to my room, I spilled my drink, for what did I find staring me in the face?

'The remote computer did not respond'

Needless to say, I was seething. The next day I was talking to one of my friends who is more knowledgeable in networking matters than I. I told him my dialup dilemma. He told me to go into the command prompt and type ipconfig /flushdns. I did so. Bear in mind that I was at the local internet cafe and was connected to the wireless there at the time.
    I went home, and oh happy day I had my beloved connection again. Later that day my mother picked up the phone and knocked out my connection. I went to reconnect, and once again I found that loathesome message upon my screen. I stopped myself from flipping my computer the bird, and did the flushdns command again. To my vexation, the same message filled my screen again.
    I was beginning to think that my computer was playing the 'guess what you have to do this time' game with me, and I was losing.
    I went back to my friend, and told him that the message had surfaced once more. He said 'Well yeah, you need to be connected to use flushdns dummy.'

Ohhh...

So for the past few weeks, before leaving my college or the internet cafe, I do the flushdns command and then shut down the computer, all while still connected. This has worked somewhat, but if anything should interrupt my connection I am unable to reconnect untill repeating the process the next day.

Now, my question is, does this seem more like a problem that my ISP is having, or is it on my side? Also, is there a more permanent fix for my problem? IS there a computer God that hates me?

I searched the forums, but I found the topics dealing with dialup connections to be rather sparse, and none that dealt with my problem.

Thank you for your time and consideration
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

AOs Resident Troll
    Not really sure...

Maybe something in your host file

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc host

Open with notepad...

should read by default

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

The file checks out ok, so I guess its not that. :s
    Good bit of information though, thanks

I'm beginning to think that my ISP is the one with the problem, due to the timing of the events that led up to the connection ceasing to function. (ie. funny modem sounds and temporary functionality after phones being shut off)

I may call them up today, hopefully I won't get an outsourced worker I cant understand.
    Last edited by Kite; November 28th, 2006 at 02:48 PM.
    I know your type, you think "I'll just get me a costume, rip off the neighborhood kids". Next thing you know, you've got a jet shaped like a skull with lasers on the front!
    -The Monarch.

AOs Resident Troll
    Yeah...best thing to do...is confirm DNS settings....and other modem settings with the ISP?

Sometimes users have newer hardware then the ISP and there is a handshake issue

We have to add commas after the ISPes number to slow the connection

555-1212,,,

Works sometimes

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I'll try the commas, and if those dont work I'll be giving my ISP a call today.

The thing of it is is that this computers modem worked fine up untill a few weeks ago and I hadn't made any changes that wouldve effected my modem's settings (that I know of, who can be sure nowadays). Ah well I guess I'll find out when I call them up. Thanks very much.
    -The Monarch.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Kite,
    You may also have a bad line or a line that is going bad. I mean the physical phone line itself. Call up your phone company and ask them to come and test your line. When I was still on dial-up, this happend to me. Not identical to your issues but, similar in respect that I kept losing connections.

You may also see if they can check your phone jacks and cables to make sure it's not a physical problem.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

That sounds feasible, god knows the last time any maintainence was done on our lines. If I cant sort things out with my ISP today I'll be sure to give them a call tomorow.
    -The Monarch.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Let me state the obvious here. When a dialup number becomes saturated, this is the exact symptoms of what is experienced. Basically, your connections and requests are timing out.

Have you used alternate dialup numbers for the same ISP? I would certainly attribute the cause to a saturated dialup line, not the physical copper or wallplate, etc.

I went back to my friend, and told him that the message had surfaced once more. He said 'Well yeah, you need to be connected to use flushdns dummy.'
    Your friend is the dummy. You don't need to be connected to flush your DNS resolver cache. It's on your local PC. Why the hell would you need to be connected to clear it?

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden