Thread: Password Managers

Password Managers

Hey everyone, I tried to search for something with the terms 'Password Manager" and the like though couldn't find anything.

I'm looking for a good password manager that comes in the form of a keychain. I was particularily looking at the Mandylion ones here:

http://www.mandylionlabs.com/

I can't find the personal edition one anywhere anymore, only can find the 5 token version. Guess it's not all that bad, I'll have some extras I guess.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with those things, or if anyone uses anything else. I'm just looking for a simpler solution to manage my passwords so I don't have to re-use any of them anymore.

Thanks

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

There are a TON of password managers for USB drives. Some are free. We will be starting an evaluation project on them after the first of the year. Some newer USB drive include a password manager on them.
    Last edited by mmelby; November 29th, 2006 at 11:15 PM.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

hey thanks for the reply.

I haven't really looked into the USB types. While those are always a possibility I was looking more for stand-alone ones. Don't have to plug it into a computer to make it work kind of thing.

Though yes, I'm sure there are just a few of those USB ones out there

Hey, figured I'd give an update just in case anyone else is looking at these forums for something like this.

I ended up buying 2 licenses of Roboform for my PC (home/work) and 1 license of Roboform2Go (runs off a U3 enabled USB key) which works wonderfully. I can sych the password files on all 3 copies using simple synchronizing software and I've had no problems with it to date. It's really simple, just protect all your passwords etc with a master key. When I want to come here, I go to my toolbar under 'Logins' and select 'Antionline' It automatically goes to this site, enters my login info and logs me in. You can set timers to log off your roboform account after a certain period of time, or just log off when you lock your workstation, etc. Password generators built in, and you can specify all sorts of requirements. (For those sites that only support a password 8 characters long, can't use fancy symbols, but need uppercase, lowercase, and numbers, or something really strict like that.)

Also, I just found (and ordered) this:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/91a2/

Reason being, I still don't trust Roboform 100%, or any software for that matter. So I don't have any bank/financial/ebay/etc passwords in there just in case someone can find an exploit for it. Anyways, the personal mandylion key is back in stock, only it holds 50 passwords instead of 20 like the old personal one. And it's $50 USD which is waaay better than the $270 USD for the 5-token one. I just hope it's really secure, apparently it meets the requirements for the US Military.

I'll throw another update here when I get the mandylion key and mess around with it.
    Last edited by dstevens1958; April 6th, 2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: clarify some sentences