msconfig

Thread: msconfig

msconfig

i want full description of this utility.
    2 days back, a freind of mine told me some tricks in the startup tab to speed up the startup process.
    and it worked.
    but, now any programs i start, are taking longer to open.
    can i disable some services in the services tab to correct that?
    Somu

The reason some programs are taking longer to open is that in all likelihood, they had some components running at startup, which you've disabled. Still, a better option to wait a few seconds more than to have them sapping your system resources when you're not using them.

It would help if you told us what version of Windows you are running.

Also what "tweaks" did you apply?

Take a look here: http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/

What programs are "slow to start"?

I would also recommend using WinPatrol from BillP Studios, and taking the option to suspend items rather than remove them. That way you will see the effect on your system. Furthermore, when tuning a system you should do it one item at a time so you are in control of the process

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Best way to tune? Buy more horsepower. ;-)

I'm half kidding but as Nihil points out, we need more info. I'd like you to download a tool called startuplist and post the txt output here.

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/p...hp#startuplist

Thanks.
    --TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

You could choose "selective startup" from the msconfig tab and have a look at what is starting up with your PC. Very often you'll be able to identify those programs you do want running and those that you can happily start up if needed. So many programs unnecessarily add themselves to your startup list, it's worth keeping an eye on this, as a lot of rubbish gets in there.

To start with, disable an entry by removing the check box, and if all is well, then you can look for its location and remove the entry. Google anything you aren't sure of. You'll be asked if you want to restart when you change selective startup, but this can just be done whenever you happen to be restarting anyway.

For a description of the msconfig utility, try reading the guide hihil posted, or another guide here is written on the MS help pages.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

i'm using winXP,
    and IE takes a lot of time to start...
    Somu

There's something wrong with your system then if IE is taking a noticeable time to start, simply to read an article. Have you done a recent spyware scan?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

try this ms config ... its better then standard version

http://www.mlin.net/
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of