Thread: Juniper M7 router strage telnet behaviour

Juniper M7 router strage telnet behaviour

I have noticed a strange behaviour on a telnet session when connecting to my M series juniper router. I have configured authentication to use radius or tacacs server. When i put in my username and password i connect fine but if put in my username and first 8 characters + any other random characters i still connect ?!?! Is this router or a tacacs issue? Has anyone seen this before?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Tested this on a Cisco router and same thing happens. Looks like a problem with TACACS server. Anyone seen this behavior before?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Antionline Herpetologist
    You're using the old password encryption system in UNIX (it's been so long that I've forgotten what it's called). You need to update it to use md5 hashing.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

It's called DES (Data Encryption Standard) and it only uses the first 8 characters of the password
    There are two rules for success in life:
    Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.