Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Virus Scans

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    A novice user should not be using IE.
    Which they all are of course. How many workplaces for a start, use alternatives to Internet Explorer and Microsoft Office? People whose only experience of the internet is at work mostly don't even know they have options.

Not that the majority of workplaces are a risk when it comes to infecting machines, if only because users don't normally have enough privileges and systems probably clean boot or are otherwise protected by whoever administers them.

I think in the days of Win98 it was perfectly possible to get by without firewalls and anti virus - nowadays I'm not so sure, unless you're going to take all the fun out of the internet. We may have watered down the effect of dialers with always-on broadband, but the fact that it is always on brings its own problems.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well on an intranet, IE poses no real threat, obviously, and the sysadmin should be configuring the user's browser so that it's secure.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Well on an intranet, IE poses no real threat, obviously, and the sysadmin should be configuring the user's browser so that it's secure.
    How often do you come across an Intranet that is actually closed to the outside world? I'd say that practically every situation will sometimes need a connection to the Internet, even if it's not strictly needed, I'll bet it's usually there.
    \"Some say they go looking for Drugs, Dirty Dancing and Pounding, Pounding Techno Music.\"
    *ahem* contact me

That's why I added that the sysadmin should be configuring their IE and their station in general so that it's secure. If they had no net access that wouldn't be necessary. If someone is engaging in mischief on an intranet, they'd be found out and binned pretty quickly, I would think

the tree, I must be an exception to the general rule then, because I don't have internet access at work. It's not an uncommon situation either - I have a friend who works for Sky TV technical help and they don't have net access either.

If it's not needed why enable it? I'd like it obviously ... but I have to admit that from an admin point of view it's a better setup than unrestricted internet access for people within a secure campaign who don't need it for their jobs.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Might be a regional thing, Moira. Here in the US I've never had a tech job wherein I didn't have web access.

I guess it all depends on what you do Joe?

If you are working for a major supplier or a helpdesk supporting specific products, you probably don't have internet access.

When you work in systems development or more general support you would normally be expected to have internet access so you can access vendor sites, FAQs, help forums and so on.

I think "tech job" is a bit of a misnomer for some of the so called "help" available to customers. I've always been a bit disappointed when I have had these sort of jobs, to find that not much importance is placed on the technical side - it's all about customer service and getting rid of the call queue (to hell with solving the customer's problem), so that service levels don't drop to an unacceptable level in the stats that go back to the client (the real customer). An advisor's skill at dealing with awkward people day in day out is much more valued than their ability to provide them with useful information.

At least in the outsourcing world this is the scenario. To that end, internet access and PCs with accessible USB ports and similar are just a security headache and often disabled.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Interesting, I've long suspected that of call centers in the US. They do seem more interested in getting off the phone than in actually addressing the issue. Most guilty are the cable companies, who just want to schedule a technician to come out, even though I'm 100% the issue isn't on the premises.

What you have to realise is that YOU are not the customer, and your needs will be given less priority than those of the client who has given the contact for technical help/customer services to the outsourcing company.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature