Gtalk is encrypted?!?

Thread: Gtalk is encrypted?!?

Gtalk is encrypted?!?

I was doing a bit of research playing around with different chat protocols and discovered that every thing about Gtalk is encrypted even the chat. I knew its login was safe because it uses tls however i set up wireshark loged into gtalk on gaim sent a few messages out and sure enough its all encrypted.
    I then tried the same experiment with googles down gtalk client instead of using the jabber portion of gaim. Sure enough i get the same results. A quick google search turns up only that they wish to add it in the future. Can any one else shed some light on this? Could this be the death of AIM? and insecure chat protocols? -TheX1le
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

Not quite yet....

Quote Originally Posted by TheX1le
    ...Could this be the death of AIM? and insecure chat protocols? -TheX1le

The only people I know who use any other chat client than AIM can also tell you what HTTP stands for. I'm not sure what the stats are (and I'm too lazy right now to look them up) but I don't think that the masses are ready to switch over from AIM and YM just because the protocols of the other clients are more secure.
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

Quote Originally Posted by treanglin
    .... I'm not sure what the stats are (and I'm too lazy right now to look them up) but I don't think that the masses are ready to switch over from AIM and YM just because the protocols of the other clients are more secure.
    Well i cant argue this point i just think its strange that they would implement such a useful feature and not tell any one about it. I know because of this i am going to be much more likely to use it in the future. OTR can be a pain some times.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"