Climatic Change?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Climatic Change?

United Kingdom: Bridlington

Question Climatic Change?

I wonder? we had a tornado in our capital city (London), it was thought to have been a T5 strength.

Trashed about 150 houses and put 400 people out of a home............
    fortunately only 6 minor casualties.

Actually, we do get more tornados per land area than any other country in the World, but they are usually so minor that if you blink you will miss them. I guess I have seen about 5 in my lifetime (two were waterspouts).

Makes you wonder about climatic change though?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Vermont, USA
    Though I'm not an alarmist, I have to accept that there is a climate change going on. I'm not going to get on a soapbox about "global warming".

I remember learning that we are in what scientists believe is the 4th interglacial period. Which would mean that it's "deja vu, all over again". The only debate remains is that whether or not we are accelerating it or not. I think man as an entity is pretty much helpless when it comes to the weather.

A selfish viewpoint in that I live well inland and over 500 feet above sea level, I actually enjoy the warmer winters we are having in Vermont, US.

As Darwin said, any organism faced with a changing environment has 3 options: adapt, migrate or die.

Sorry to hear about your fellow citizens, Nihil, what area of the UK was it? I have kin in Yorkshire and all over Scotland.

Yeah what part of the UK was it Duh
    Last edited by fourdc; December 7th, 2006 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Duh reread the original post

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Hi fourdc it was London, which is on the river Thames down in the south east of the country.

I live up in Yorkshire, about 236 miles away. I have seen one tornado and two waterspouts up here and the resulting damage a couple of times.

They only last seconds normally..................they think this one lasted 40 seconds.

I agree with the climatic is changing, and has done so in the past, when there were too few of us and we were not industrialised to have much of an effect?

I can show you the archeological evidence of monks growing vines up here in the 13th. century. Yet in the latter part of the 19th. century we had ice fairs on the River Thames when it froze to a depth of several feet!!!

I am concerned about pollution though, as that has short term effects on our health? Something we can do something about?

I saw that in the news. My friend, who lives just north of you in Lancashire (don't hate him for that) claims that it's been unseasonably warm there. There are still roses alive in his yard, in december.

Yes that is the same over this side Lancashire is West and we are East, but about the same latitude.

Not only do I have roses, I also have carnations in full flower with more buds to come!

Last edited by nihil; December 8th, 2006 at 06:16 AM.

... it's the end of the world as we know it...

Sorry I couldn't resist.

If you havenít seen an inconvenient truth, I suggest watching it. Just for the scenes that show how fast the glaciers have been melting. It's pretty scary and it's on us as human beings to do something.

I wish anyone on here who is there or has family there the best of luck. I was in the tornado that hit Nashville several years ago, and I've been through 4 hurricanes in the past 3 years in FL. Nature is a mean mean chick.

The thing about the ice caps melting other then the seas rising is the temperature changes in the currents, right now the Gulf Stream sits off of Nova Scotia, and every year comes closer (only metres but hey, I started planting palm trees yesterday), the thing is, all that ice slipping into the Gulf Stream will have an effect on everything that rely on the warm waters i.e. Hurricanes for one, every thermal current has a purpose due to it's temperature's, if you increase it by only a centigrade, it can have unwelcome effects on certain coastlines or habitats.

Up in the North the natives are becoming alarmed because the traditional hunting seasons are out of whack, or the permafrost is not as it once was.

I feel IMHO that the majority of this planets responsible citizens are playing the ostrich game and when the shite hits the fan, it may be too late.

Too many inconsitencies happening to write it off as a one-off, and yep pollution is one of the major contributing factors, espescially now that China and India are full coal ahead (insert steam if you want), and damn the enviromentalists.

They are only doing what North America and Europe have been doing for approx 100 yrs Plus...consuming natural resources (and if you hadn't noticed lately copper is being bought or stolen at a premium, as the Far East eat it all up, I remember reading something awhile back about all of the junk or scrap metal that used to litter Mongolia, but now it has been scoured clean by China)at an astonishing rate as their economies expand..

just my 0.02cents
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Here is the irony. No one argues that the earth isn't warming up a bit. We argue over the cause and effect but it's happening. But on the time line of geological history we are nearing the end of a warming period. We haven't even reached the peak temperature as predicted in past interglacial periods. And to add to the irony... the same people that blew the whistle on greenhouse/global warming are the same dudes who were warning us all about global cooling in the 60s.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I'm going to stay out of this one (three weeks ago, I looked at every single source concerning global warming and those who call the concensus a myth, led by MIT's Lindzen, for one of my classes, and spent a week discussing the pro's and cons, and I've had enough of it ), BUT I can't resist RoadClosed's statement:

And to add to the irony... the same people that blew the whistle on greenhouse/global warming are the same dudes who were warning us all about global cooling in the 60s.
    Every now and again, the myth that "we shouldn't believe global warming predictions now, because in the 1970's they were predicting an ice age and/or cooling" surfaces. [...]

[It is] not an argument used by respectable and knowledgeable skeptics, because it crumbles under analysis. That doesn't stop it repeatedly cropping up in newsgroups though.

I should clarify that I'm talking about predictions in the scientific press. There were some regrettable things published in the popular press (e.g. Newsweek; though National Geographic did better).
    There are some very interesting people with good arguments against what they call the "myth of a concensus regarding global warming", but "it's the same dudes who predicted a new ice age" is not one of those arguments. For a pretty interesting read (from the "other" side):

- Christopher Monckton:
    - Lindzen: (publications 138-141)
    Last edited by Negative; December 7th, 2006 at 11:09 PM.

Tornadoes occur throughout the world; however, the greatest number of tornadoes and most intense tornadoes occur in the United States