Site Statistics

Thread: Site Statistics

Site Statistics

Hey Hey,

So I'm kinda curious about the site statistics of people here that run their own sites..

I was looking at mine again today... (using the built in Web Statistics software that 1and1 provides) The Unique visits is based on Access logs... And assumes that visits within 30 minutes are the same visit (however 30 minutes later it could be a new visit)... it Also doesn't filter out bots..

I also use Google Analytics (which I'll post results for later)

Anyways... my 1and1 stats look like this

Month of November: 23214 Unique Visits for ComputerDefense.org (includes accessing the RSS Feed)
    Month of December (so far): 9025 Unique visits (includes accessing the RSS Feed)..

I'm just curious to get other peoples numbers for comparison and so forth and to see if they're using different software that stacks up comparatively or that operates more efficiently... I'll add Google Analytics later but it won't include RSS Traffic.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    I think it really depends upon how you have the stats set and how accurate they are...stats are easy to manipulate in your favor...in many cases as much as 90% of traffic could be bots...
    eg. if you look at Antionline's stats you'll see approximately 160 online...with 4 members online...so you could assume there's 156 visitors...but...
    if you look further into the stats you'll see that the Yahoo, MSN, and other bots are counted for every page they index...( Google is generally listed as one...but even those stats can be manipulated if you count every page Google indexes...manipulating these could raise your stats into the hundreds )...
    a quick count shows that of these 156 visitors 97 are bots...leaving a possible 59 visitors...
    but then some bots don't come up as bots...so you can reckon some of the 59 remaining visitors are likely bots too...
    so...let's assume that half those are bots...then the figure for actual visitors now becomes 30...

4 members and 30 visitors ( which seems a lot more reasonable than 4 and 160 )

I personally find it very difficult to believe that a site with an Alexa traffic rating over a million and a Google page rank of 3 has close to the same traffic as Antionline with a traffic rating below 80,000 and a Google rank of 5...

your stats are not accurate....I've noticed most sites stats don't gel with reality...either they have corrupted or manipulated stats...on purpose or un-intentional...

if it doesn't gel...then it's probably wrong.
    Last edited by Egaladeist; December 10th, 2006 at 12:25 AM.

Hey Hey,

I personally find it very difficult to believe that a site with an Alexa traffic rating over a million and a Google page rank of 3 has close to the same traffic as Antionline with a traffic rating below 80,000 and a Google rank of 5...
    I've been thinking a lot about stats lately... and unfortunately both GoogleRank and Alexa are horrid methods of measuring a site...

Alexa is by far the worst... but GoogleRank is pretty bad..

Maybe this will be the subject of an upcoming blog post... but here's the nitty gritty..

Alexa keeps track of numbers using the Alexa toolbar... The Alexa toolbar is classified by most places as Spyware... Most technical people wouldn't allow it to be installed on their systems...

So take my site vs AO... AO is visited by a lot of people looking to clean up spyware infestations and for general tech support.. The odds are they have the Alexa Toolbar, so Alexa would rank AO very high..

I don't overly doubt my stats as I've looked over the raw logs and I have a good idea of what's where and how many bots are accessing the page.. I also know most of my traffic generation is from my RSS feed... which generates a minimum of 500-600 hits per day... Now many of those are the same person once every hour... so my actual "unique" visitors is about 25-50% of that number and bots are generally 25% of my total...

I'm just curious to see what software others are using.. and to share site stats.. they interest me..
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

T̙͓̞̣̯ͦͭͅͅȂͧͭͧ̏̈͏̖̖Z̿ ͆̎̄
    Well I can't help you there...over at TAZ we use a standard Stat Counter...which only records the pages it's placed on...so traffic coming in from other pages doesn't get recorded...
    Google is the only regular bot and it comes up as 1 visitor on the stats page ( even though it can be indexing several pages )..so our stats are never extreme like some sites that manipulate stats.
    Generally speaking I am very suspicious of stats...I've been to so many sites where they just don't seem to add up...
    I don't know if they do it to appear more busy or to sell more AD space...but in any event I rarely believe any stat that just doesn't seem to add up.

I would seriously estimate that as much as 90% of site stats are bogus...in my opinion...at least the ones I've come across.