Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Evolution

Computer Evolution

Hello everyone. Computers are getting more and more faster. But do you think that the general public have a need for that?

Absolutely, it's called computer games.
    Hi.

Shure...if the public are willing to pay then they need it lol

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    alakhiyar,
    do you think that the general public have a need for that?
    Personally, I don't think it makes a difference. I can't tell you how many beautiful systems I've watched get turned into glorified paperweights. The faster the computer, the faster most users will fill it up with junk. Then piss and moan about how slow it gets.
    I think "maintenance" is becoming an obsolete word. These days, if something doesn't work well, the mentality is to just buy a newer one. And this notion isn't just limited to computers.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I think that more and more powerful machines do benefit society. Already it's allowing us to communicate over large distances using higher and higher quality mediums. From the text browsers of yesterday to the youtube of today. Do we need it? Of course not. All we need is a bit of oxygen, some food and some water every now and then. Granted with the use of technology like this becoming more and more commonplace, the ability and reality of increased monitoring (a supposed invasion of privacy) comes with it. (I say a 'supposed' invasion of privacy because in my opinion one should consider a conversation online about as private as a conversation on a busy street corner.)
    Y Gwir Yn Erbyn Byd

Quote Originally Posted by alakhiyar
    Hello everyone. Computers are getting more and more faster. But do you think that the general public have a need for that?
    If you mean the average user, then I would say not. If you are just doing transaction processing in an office or the typical things that home users do then a PIII is probably quite adequate. People just don't think fast enough and most cannot type fast enough to tell the difference between a PIII/566 and a P4/2.26GHz.

If you are talking servers, communications, design and development and gaming then it is a different story.

Absolutely we need faster and faster computers.

How else will users be able to keep up with all the slower,
    bloated antivirus software, software patches, antispyware
    software, antiphishing software, newer more secure web
    browsers, and software updates? Not to mention online
    multimedia content bogged down by half-baked DRM schemes.

Did I leave anything out?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Yes, Office Suites. They are getting pretty bloated these days and a lot of office and home users actually use them to some extent.

I preferred the old days where you installed only what you wanted, rather than the whole shooting match

I suspect that Vista will be a problem, as it actually seems to need a much more powerful platform than XP or 2000?

Thinking on it, if you have a machine that shipped with Millenium Edition it will run 2000 and XP, only much better.............and that box could well be 6 years old?

Anyway, there is always Linux?

Jeez, Nihil, how can you say Office suites are bloated? I can't even get one with a coffeemaker.

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

More features in software = more code = need more CPU power and RAM