Thread: Knoppix modem detection problem.

Knoppix modem detection problem.

I just downloaded the knoppix 4.0 live cd. Now normally a NIX box will detect a cable modem. This time it is not. Could this be because the modem is connected via USB? If so how can I fix this.

thanks
    kryptonic

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonic
    I just downloaded the knoppix 4.0 live cd. Now normally a NIX box will detect a cable modem. This time it is not. Could this be because the modem is connected via USB? If so how can I fix this.

thanks
    kryptonic
    USB Does seem to be an issue with V4.0. Found this on another site, it may be related to your issue.

Hi, i've come trough a similar problem :
    Using Knoppix DVD 4.0, everything was working fine, exept i could not use any USB key.

I found the solution when comparing Knoppix 4.0 DVD with Knoppix 3.9 CD Versions. Using the latter, my USB Mass storage device was automatically detected.
    In fact, you'll need to load "ehci_hcd" module (or ehci-hcd, can't remember...)

So just type in a root console, after booting :

insmod ehci_hcd

If the system can't figure out where ehci_hcd module is, try reaching /lib/module/2.6.X/kernel/usb/misc , or somewhere near that. You'll try to get in the directory containing "ehci_hcd.so", and then

insmod ./ehci_hcd.so

If everything works fine (and you've got the same problem i had), an USB key icon will automatically appear on the desktop... linked to your detected USB device !
    Good luck.
    Cheers:
    DjM