Thread: Laptop Service Manual

Hybrid View

Laptop Service Manual

Found a website with some free downloads of laptop service manuals. It's not all-inclusive, but for those who might be interested:

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipmen...ebooks_43.html

Just in case you want to install Linux or another Unix derivative like BSD or Solaris just try one of these Linux Laptop and Notebook Installation Guides at TuxMobil. There are 6,000 installation reports for laptops from almost any manufacturer.

http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html

Common Laptop Purchase Questions

Q. What Laptop should I get?

A. Ask in the Forum and do your research on the top brands like Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Acer etc. Try to have some idea of which laptop market you want to be in:
    Ultra-portable: very light, very minimal (small screen, no integrated optical drive etc)
    Mid-size
    Desktop replacement: powerful, heavy

Q. What price range should I be looking in?

A. That depends on you budget, looking in the Lower Mid range and up is usually a good price point to start, try and stay away from the low end laptops.

Q. What Resolution should I get?

A. Laptops usually have 14~17" Screens and Wide Screen displays. It really depends on your personal preference and eyesight, as well as the weight you're willing to deal with. Bigger screens make heavier laptops.

Examples:

15.4" Wide screen

WXGA (1280 x 800)

WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050)

WUXGA (1920 x 1200)

Q. I want to play games on my Laptop, what should I get?

A. That depends on what games you want to play. For the newest games like HL2 you need a laptop with a dedicated graphics card. Most Mid range and lower come with integrated graphics (Built into the motherboard). Look for dedicated graphics cards like the GF 6800, ATI X700, etc. Try and stay away from the low end cards like the ATI X300 etc for gaming.

Q. Should I get a wireless network card?

A. Yes most of the newer laptops have the option of an internal wireless network card, you should get that option when ordering.

Q. Should I get the extended Warranty?

A. Yes, always buy the extended warranty as laptops are more prone to problems by design than desktop computers. They are also very expensive to repair with motherboards costing over $500 on ave.

Mods feel free to update and add to this post. Anyone else, post the question and answer below.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")