Thread: Eraser Problem

Unhappy Eraser Problem

Greeting's

I had earlier installed eraser (erase.sourceforge.net) and then uninstalled it. But I had provided with a password. Now I have re-installed it but it still asks for the password. So I uninstalled it.. Ran a registry cleaner, deleted key by finding "eraser" and deleted any folder of the program in installation directory... Then when I installed it again it is still asking for the password.

Any help ???
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Did you uninstall it by running the program's uninstall file, or using add/remove software through the control panel?
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Greeting's

I uninstalled using programs uninstall file.. and I cant restore back to that time mainly because I've disabled System Restore.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

you might check in add/remove programs, and see if there are any references to the program in there... just a thought...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

I am guessing here but I would say that there is an entry in the Registry for the password and it won't say "eraser" for security reasons?

If you delete the program and run a registry cleaner, look for "orphan" entries.

Personally, I usually try to remove stuff in safe mode to avoid anything that loads on startup.

Try Crap Cleaner and use the "tools" option to see if it finds anything uninstallable. Crap Cleaner has a mechanism whereby it can delete stuff in use at the next bootup.

EDIT: Please be careful using registry cleaning tools, especially if you have MS Office or the free readers of Office files. There are Registry entries that appear to be orphans, but are actually required to apply updates and security patches
    Last edited by nihil; December 17th, 2006 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTeWrangler
    Greeting's

I had earlier installed eraser (erase.sourceforge.net) and then uninstalled it. But I had provided with a password. Now I have re-installed it but it still asks for the password. So I uninstalled it.. Ran a registry cleaner, deleted key by finding "eraser" and deleted any folder of the program in installation directory... Then when I installed it again it is still asking for the password.

Any help ???
    they've dropped a file somewhere else... when you reinstall it, do a search of your drive for all files modified/created that day, take note of all the files with the time stamp of when you installed eraser.. After you uninstall it, most likely they'll leave their config file, you should be able to run another search and verify with your list of files from the first search. You don't have to delete the offending file, just rename it and it's extension so when you reinstall eraser, it won't see it, (or go ahead and delete if your feel confident enough). Be carefull you don't delete something your not supposed to (google the file name, to be sure it's not a system file or part of another program).
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

You might try using, and I forget the exact names, some of the sysinternals tools that show you what files and registry keys are being accessed. This, although tedious, will eventually give you the answer.

Delete the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Heidi Computers Ltd\Eraser\PROTECT\sec

as soon as you delete sec, if you go into preferences/general, it gives you the option to set the password again.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.