net speed: 96 wpm
    accuracy 88%

I used to be faster, but programming has slowed me down :-(

2nd time:

Gross: 111
    Errors: 2 words
    net Speed: 109 wpm
    Accuracy: 98%
    Last edited by Zunger; December 18th, 2006 at 07:48 PM.
    I have my CCNA and i'm currently working towards my CCNP and CSSP.

I don't find that a very fair test, since it's the taking/reading dictation part that is uncommon for me. When I type I never copy from another text source.

Well, I did rubbish on that test because I found it unnatural and started making errors when I normally wouldn't have. I also got someone interrupting me halfway through. I know I'm a fast typist, for a start I was trained as a typist years ago and everyone I talk to online remarks how fast I type back at them on irc or msn etc. I don't need to look at what I'm typing or use two fingers and I'm extremely accurate. In short, I'm a good typist

So how come I got this:

Gross Speed 57 wpm
    Errors 54 words
    Net Speed 3 wpm
    Accuracy 5%

Brilliant, eh?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    I don't find that a very fair test, since it's the taking/reading dictation part that is uncommon for me. When I type I never copy from another text source.
    Then technically, the test you're referring to would actually be one of intelligence or 'thinkability'. How fast can you think of a story or a program and type it out / write the program? But then that's not a typing test, nor would you do it in wpm.

I agree that it's not the best test for this type of community (i can't see too many dictation people being into IT), but i wouldn't say it's not a fair one.
    I have my CCNA and i'm currently working towards my CCNP and CSSP.

I say it's not a fair one because I got a rubbish result
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

I don't think I did horrible. I tend to type for accuracy and not for speed. I also agree with JP. I rarely ever type from text. Thats what copy and paste are for. Anyway, I tried two different tests with different keyboards. I was just curious if there was a difference. Both of these tests were the one minute variant.

Using a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000

Test name: Strategic Alliances with Computers
    Gross Speed 68 WPM
    Errors 2 Words
    Net Speed 66 WPM
    Accuracy 97%

Using a Standard Dell Keyboard

Test name: The Wonderful Wizard of OZ
    Gross Speed 77 WPM
    Errors 2 Words
    Net Speed 75 WPM
    Accuracy 97%

I think I did better on the second one because I was "warmed up". I came back from grocery shopping and moving boxes around and reorganizing the freezer. My hands were a bit cold.
    Last edited by phishphreek; December 19th, 2006 at 04:34 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmmmm,

Well, as I see it there are three basic sorts of typing:

1. Type as you go..........by this I mean as you would write with a pen or pencil, only you are using a keyboard.

2. Audio Typing.......... like from a tape or as a court stenographer does.

3. Copy Typing...........this is what I imagine this test to be? Here you are typing from a manuscript. The typical task of the "typing pool" back then (Joe will remember, I am sure)

I would guess that Moira never did copy typing much?

I will sort Phish~ out though............ he will have to use one of my Compaq Swedish Keyboards ...........far too many O and As on those

I think I will forgo this pleasuure and delegate it to one of my team.

Mind you, I am a very accurate typist, as I used to write programs on punched cards and then have to wait three days to find out if the damned thing had compiled, let alone run sucessfully.

I know of it, but I never had to do it. I was a musician through the 1st half of my life

I will sort Phish~ out though............ he will have to use one of my Compaq Swedish Keyboards ...........far too many O and As on those
    Maybe it won't matter so much? It's been at least 13 years since I've had to look at the keyboard. They had us taking keyboard classes back in middle school... (before high school)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.