Thread: Hack In The Box SecConf 2006 Videos

Hack In The Box SecConf 2006 Videos

Note: The following large files are torrents. Start downloading and contribute to the swarm! I'm currently getting speeds of over 300kb/s so it's not too slow.

http://www.hackinthebox.org/
    We are pleased to announce that the videos from HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia are now available for download. Broken down into 2 packs, the download's are rather hefty at 6.52GB and 5.66GB each but is well worth the bandwidth. If you're looking for the presentation materials, they are available on Packet Storm.

Here's what's in each package.

HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia - PACK 1

KEYNOTE 1 - Schneier on Security - Bruce Schneier

Security Engineering in Windows Vista - Ian Hellen and Vishal Kumar
    Playing with Botnets for Fun and Profit - Thorsten Holz
    Taming Bugs - The Art of Writing Secure Code - Paul Boehm
    Application Intrusion Prevention Systems - Fabrice Marie
    Attacking the IPV6 Protocol Suite - Van Hauser
    Writing Metasploit Plugins - From Vulnerability to Exploit - Saumil Shah
    x.805 Standard - Ching Tim Meng
    The World Through the Eyes of a Signature Developer - Jonathan Limbo
    Client Honeypots - It's Not Only the Network - Michael Davis
    Triple Play; Triple Threats? IPTV Security - Yen-Ming Chen
    Firefox Security - Window Snyder
    Pentesting Java/J2EE - Discovering Remote Holes - Marc Schoenefeld
    Visualizing Source Code for Auditing - Lisa Thalheim

HITBSecConf2006 - Malaysia - PACK 2

KEYNOTE 2: What application security tools vendors don't want you to know and the holes they will never find - Mark Curphey and John Viega

Scapy and IPV6 Networking - Phil Biondi and Arnaud Ebalard
    Finding Secrets in ISAPI - Nish Bhalla
    Pentesting Windows Vista BitLocker Drive Encryption from the Inside - Douglas MacIver
    HPP - A New Approach to Cybercrime - Raoul Chiesa
    The Biggest Brother - Roberto Preatoni and Fabio Ghioni
    Towards an Invisible Honeypot Monitoring System - Nguyen Anh Quynh
    Hacking a Bird in the Sky - Hijacking VSAT Connections - Jim Geovedi and Raditya Iryandi
    Smasing the stack for Profit; period - Rohyt Belani
    Using Neural Networks and Statistical Machinery to Improve Remote OS Detection - Javier Burroni and Carlos Sarraute
    MOSREF - Using Cryptography and Injectable Virtual Machines in Security - Wes Brown
    Hacking Trust - Anthony Zboralski and Dave McKay
    Yet Another Web Application Testing Toolkit - Fyodor Yarochkin and Meder Kydyraliev
    VoIP Phreaking - SIPhallis Unveiled - The Grugq
    Subverting Vista Kernel for Fun and Profit - Joanna Rutkowska

A bonus video of the charity auction is also included on the Day 2 pack! On a related note, the Call for Papers for HITBSecConf2007 - Dubai is now open! See you guys next year!

http://video.hackinthebox.org/2006.html
    http://www.packetstormsecurity.org/hitb06/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Has anyone downloaded this yet? I've completed day 1 and have watched a couple of the presentations. (Playing with botnets and client honeypots.) I wish I had an opportunity to attend one of these events in person. I am grateful that they released these videos for those who don't have the opportunity to attend.

I do think they could put these videos together a bit better. The audio comes from the video camera mic. They should have patched into the PA system. That would prevent what sounds like a lot of people clearing their throat, whispering and munching on snacks. Also, there is really no need to use a video camera like this. A short interview of the speaker via camera and then just put the audio to the slide show or recording the desktop via camstudio. The slideshow would be more clear. The camera goes out of focus and it's kind of far back so it'd difficult to read the flowcharts/diagrams. It would be a little better if the presentation filled the screen.

Note: You can obtain the presentation material separately. So, you can view them more clearly. But, it was just my opinion that all of this could have been done without the need of downloading the video and the presentation material separate.

I've really just been listening to the audio from the video file and following the presentation material.

I guess I can't really complain since it's almost free. (minus storage, bandwith, time needed to view)

Anyway, that is my initial opinion on the quality of the video. I think the presentations are very good. So far, I haven't really learned anything new. If anything, a slight twist on existing security technologies. I'm sure that will change as there are a few topics in here that I've never even heard of! I can't wait to watch them all.

What are your thoughts so far?
    Last edited by phishphreek; December 18th, 2006 at 04:20 AM.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmm im downloading both hopefully your still seeding I cant wait till its done though. Thank you for your take in the vids gives me a good idea on what im getting into. The topics sound interestingly enough so we shall see.
    ...."Cant stop the signal Mel, Every thing goes some where and i go every where."...... "From here to the eyes and the ears of the verse, thats my motto or might be if i start having a motto" - Mr. Universe "Serenity"

Hey Hey,

Day 1 was downloading all day while I was out... unfortunately the BT client on my Mac sucks and it seeded after it finished without starting the second day.. so it's downloading now...

I plan on checking it out over the week....

Peace,
    HT

Quote Originally Posted by TheX1le
    Hmm im downloading both hopefully your still seeding I cant wait till its done though. Thank you for your take in the vids gives me a good idea on what im getting into. The topics sound interestingly enough so we shall see.
    Yep. I'm still seeding. I plan on seeding them out to a 1.5 ratio. Normally I'd go much higher but 10 gigs each is good IMO. I don't have a very good upstream connection though... so far I've only seeded .25 on each.