Thread: Cable set-top box querying

Cable set-top box querying

OK guys, before we start, I know the rules on not asking hacking questions, well this sort of is, and sort of isn't. I don't want to be banned from the forum, so if my question is disagreeable, please just politely say so and ignore it.

I get my broadband connection through cable. They've given me a dodgy USB modem and I have to have a windows machine on the end of it to route through, which I'd rather not. Looking at their web site, the only other 'solution' they offer is through a wireless router, connected to the back of the TV set-top box. Sounds odd to me, but... I don't want to pay for a wireless router I don't want, and I already have an ethernet router lying around that I should be able to use. I have connected my laptop via Xover cable to the box, and get a 10Mb connection, but can't think even how to ask the box it's MAC or IP address (I don't have a proper 'network' connection until at least my laptop is on the same subnet, which of course I don't have a clue what it is). Needless to say, there's no DCHP on the box to connect with.
    Where should I start?
    What's your favourite OS?

Seen it. Tried it. Crashed it.

AOs Resident Troll
    Setup your ethernet router...(not the wireless) with the username and password and dns settings of your cable company. Then plug you computers...whatever they may be into the router. The router handles the connection and just forwards requests to the ISP.

What type of router is it.?? does it have dhcp??

You may have to contact the cableco with your new setting cause sometimes they tie accounts to MAC addresses

The modem really should have nothing to do with it....it should be in bridge mode

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

1. Send the "dodgy" modem back.

2. Change providers.

End of story..................................................

Hi MLF,

The router model escapes me. It does have DHCP, but I don't usually use it 'coz I like my machines to have preset hostnames, and I can't find a way to get the router to return the names I want.

Surely at some point I (either the computer or the router) need to know which address to set as the gateway, which I don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    1. Send the "dodgy" modem back.

2. Change providers.

End of story..................................................
    It may come to that.
    Unfortunately we have a good telephone deal thru the same people and I can't find anyone else to match it...

AOs Resident Troll
    The modem is not a gateway...the router is......

call your ISP support...

Use static IPs on the computers turn off the internal dhcp..doesnt matter as long as they are in the same range as the route...set the router as DNS and Gateway in the TCP\IP properties

as long as the router is properly configured...it should work.

Once I got a modem configured as a router...and I could not connect.

I called the ISP and they remotely set the modem to bridge mode...and all was fine then,

MLF

shakeshuck "£$%^%&*&" and "+_)(*&*&^^".................. I am caught in the same trap as yourself!

To make it worse, I have no choice, as we don't even have cable in this sticksville place that I live.

I have a house in the nearest "big" town (about 250,000 ) and have no problems there, relatively speaking..................

Good luck!

MLF, I think we're at cross purposes here.

I want to junk the modem (as it's USB-only), and connect via the set-top box instead. But I agree, if they're willing to share, the ISP should have the info I need. But if they're not...!

AOs Resident Troll
    Ok...I get it...I am being thick...USB...I get it now

Call the cable co and ask them for a different modem...

get an adapter

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

MLF

Quote Originally Posted by morganlefay
    I didn't know you could do that! Now it's my turn to be thick