Mcse

Thread: Mcse

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Mcse

Hi there everyone

Didn't know where to post this, so put it in here, hope it is okay
    JUst wanted to found out everyones thoughts on doing the MCSE course. IM looking to move to LOndon from South Africa and the word is that an MCSE behind you will land you a decent job.

JUst want to hear the more expierenced guys comments. Critisicm is welcome.

Thanks for your time.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I posted double by mistake. Couldnt find it, thought it never went through. Could an admin delete this one. PLease reply to the other one, explains abit better.

Thanks.
    SOrry again.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Done
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    London UK is awash with MCSE bods
    get a cert, but get experience too

get your head around server support, and you will get a better paying job
    be more adventurous in your choice of skillset
    servers / networks / security are always going to be needed
    and there are always going to be vacancies

check out some job sites first
    http://www.jobserve.com/ is a good site
    just remember to search by city not skill - ie - set London 7 days
    16695 jobs found

be lucky
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Like foxy said: get experience too. I have seen many more _book_ MCSEs than ones with real experience. These _book_ MCSEs can barely figure out how to stop a Windows service let alone read an Eventlog - pitiful really.

Get your cert, get experience....wide range of experience. Maybe by willing to start in PC/desktop/helpdesk support at a large company. Or better yet find a small to small-midsize company because you'll get a wider range of experience there.

Good luck.

Thanks guys and gals. Ill be looking into Foly's suggestion. The other mission is getting into the UK

Thanks again.
    Albert Einstein

It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. I'm studying at present but working voluntarily for a small IT business. That way, I get experience, training and a reference. I'm fortunate enough to be able to live from my savings - in the short term!

Is it possible to study MCSE from home and then go write the exams, um I think its CompTIA or similar.

If I would go to do the course say five times a week; 8 - 4 (8 hrs) how long would the suggested course take me? I've seen some companies advertise a four week course.

I have also heard from alot of people whom have paid there money to do this course and they arent even legitimate.

All in all I would just like a time period and pricewise so I dont get shafted

Thanks all
    Albert Einstein

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I hate these questions because they presume that a cert gives you a free ride. Not.

You need:
    1) Friends in the right places.
    2) More than a single cert. Be diverse. Get an MCSE and a security cert.
    3) Pay your dues. Most people start out in tier one helpdesk. If you have any talent, you'll make it out of there with experience and paid training.
    4) Luck. Sad as it sounds, being in the right place at the right time is critical.
    5) Education. Yes, 4 year college degrees still turn up as a requirement for most of the higher paying jobs.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden