Partition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partition

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar

Partition

Hi there guys

Im using Windows XP SP2. I formatted and did the whole thing about 6 months ago. Now the notification that my C:\ drive has low space is getting abit annoying. I made it 5 gigs which I thought would be fine but doesnt seem to be big enough partition for windows. I didnt take into account the updates etc. I cant install certain software on my other drives because that partition doesnt have enough space to generate the install or whatever it is called on c:\.

Just wanted to know what the best route would be to go. I dont want to format etc. So besides that can I repartition it without formatting etc.

Any help will be appreciated.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Please do a search for a free product called "Crap Cleaner"...............run this after every session on the internet.

Also, look at your recovery points and delete everything other than the last two or three................pick which ones yourself, but do not have too many.

I have actually seen recovery points taking up almost 8GB!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nihil
    Please do a search for a free product called "Crap Cleaner"...............run this after every session on the internet.

Also, look at your recovery points and delete everything other than the last two or three................pick which ones yourself, but do not have too many.

I have actually seen recovery points taking up almost 8GB!!!!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry im abit nub. Recovery points = ?
    Also wont something like partition magic work?

Thanks
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

OK,

<start>
    <settings>
    <control panel>
    <system>

Select the "system restore" tab, then select the drive.

Mine has defaulted to 12%, which is about 4.5 Gig. I guess if you set the slider to "minimum" it will allocate enough space for one restore point.

Then reboot.

EDIT: Whilst Partition Magic might work, I am very reluctant to use it on a "live" partition.............I have seen and heard of far too many mishaps.

I moved it from 12% to about 8%, around 350MB. In your previous you used to word "guess" so I didnt want to make it minimun and I cant use it. So I went fare ground.

Thanks for the reply nil.

Cheers
    Albert Einstein

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Cider,
    Partition Magic is good software. We use it on our company's client machines (they all run XP SP2) and I use it on my home laptop. It works well and is very intuitive. However, take what I say with a grain of salt. Like Nihil said, you might try it and completely muff your computer up.
    And like Nihil was recommending, CCleaner is a great tool to clean up the junk piling up on your system. There's also the Free Internet Windows Washer (not the fanciest tool but it works).
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Being that you said you partitioned your computer as only 5GB, I'm assuming you have other partitions. You can move the page file to a different paritition and probably get back a sizable chunk of space.

Another simple thing to do is right click on the disk got to properties and click on clean disk. This can help clean up a lot of stuff before using other third party software. Also check out the size of your profile after you have cleaned the disk. Sometimes the tmp folder doesnt get cleaned.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

I have no problem with Partition Magic as such. It is fine for setting up drives and managing empty partitions.

I am personally wary of using any disk partitioning tool on an active partition containing data.

If I were forced to, I would clear out the rubbish, defragment it and save anything important first.

If space is still an issue, look at the .cab (cabinet) files on your C:\ drive. These are compressed files used in installing and updating Windows and some applications. They are not used on a day to day basis so could be moved to another partition.

Never lost any data to a Partition Magic edit. But always did backups, and defragged my Windows partitions. Excellent software.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers