Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Computer World

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Moira

And I'd be wary of VMWare too. I tried to use this to install Ubuntu and run it as a virtual OS, but came across complications (and gave up!).
    Yeah. If you don't figure something out the first time you should just give up. It makes life so much easier...

I don't agree with the linux is to complicated thing. If you wanted to give linux a shot I'd say start out with SuSE. I'll post you some links for installing and different online sources for info on linux tomorrow. Off to bed for tonight.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Quote Originally Posted by muert0
    Yeah. If you don't figure something out the first time you should just give up. It makes life so much easier...
    It's nice to meet someone with so much time on their hands .... if I've stuggled with something for a good while and gone about as far as I can with it, then I don't flog a dead horse. While I don't mind tryng VMWare, resolving problems with it is not how I would choose to spend my spare time and if it starts to become too time consuming, then giving up and doing something more useful/interesting is the intelligent thing to do.

The point I was trying to make is that it isn't particularly intuitive for someone who is quick to point out they don't know much about computers.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

thanks for all of the info and i can definitely use it and more. hint hint. but now i have another question as to how i can clean my system from all of the good ol factory crap that came with the computer. i still don't have a computer of my own so i am still using the family computer and it could use a good cleansing. not to mention that i ..uh.. accidentally..*cough*infected*cough* the computer with a *cough*virus*Cough* awhile ago. i was looking for a *cough*serialnumbergenerater*cough*. at the time i had avg for an anti virus but it did not seem to work. i just recently got rid of it but im not sure it's completely gone. funny thing is that i had antivir and it kept detecting viruses. i mean every day the sucker beeped saying it detected a virus or heuristic malware. so too solve the problem i got avast and on its maiden scan picked up more viruses after i had just did a complete system scan with antivir. not to mention windows live one care, which i had before antivir and avast and all it did was quarantined a few, even picked up 2, after months of updates. with avast it seems the viruses are gone but again i'm not too sure. any info on how to completely get rid of and stay safe from all the bad malware, adware, spyware, and even computer factory crap would help. thanks

Well one piece of advice would be to stop visiting dodgy sites to obtain pirated software - I don't have a lot of sympathy for anyone pickiing up malware in this way.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Only african to own a PC! Cider's Avatar
    Well chaos I am also somewhat a newbie. I post all my questions here rather than using google as I know I will get decent and efficent information.

However google is also good for checking out your hardware. If you search on google, paste the article/website here and let the vets check it out for you.

The security tuts are a great way to learn. I still read over them and learn more everytime I read.

Anyways Goodluck...
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

i am soooo sorry i couldn't get back to you sooner. i have been very very busy the last couple of weeks with school and all. but i have picked up a programming book from the library and i've recently downloaded the latest version of python for windows. the only problem with the book is that it teaches the basics of C++ as of so far anyway. i am going to get this hijack this program and ill post the log as soon as i figure out how to use it. just to see if there maybe any unwanted programs. i also researched my dvd drive because i was having problems with it. turns out that the drive was discontinued before we bought the computer. i did find a person who had the exact same problem with the same drive and after he went through various steps and processes he finally came to the conclusion of changing stuff in the registry. i am definitely not ready to change stuff in the registry yet. although i did delete some useless keys and i am proud to say that the family computer is running better than before. yeah ill post anything that may seem funny or anything i cant handle. but right now im workin on programming. so i may not be back for a while but ill try to keep you up to date on the performance of my system.

ps i can still use any info u guys might have. i still haven't gottin a computer of my own yet so for right now ill be readin up on stuff. thanx 1 and all for your continuing help and support. and again i am very sorry for not gettin back to ya sooner.

Hi

Hijackthis is very simple to use, you'll quickly figure out how to run it and post the log. The only area requiring knowledge is in deciding what to eliminate and this is where posting the log is definitely a help.

There are a lot of people who could give you some guidance on the log results ..... probably the best place to post it would be in the Spyware/Adware forum, the log it produces is quite large.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Smile you need any help on computer stuff?

this advice can help you:

all you new is will and dedication to computer science .
    go to libraries, buy books , go to the web and search for books, walk arround at computer shops , read computer magazines, read lots of things. if you want to be like a master ,thing like a master , walk with the master , see through the master and be the master.learn how to program . open your computer ,be curious ,install linux ,write code ,learn C .
    if you want to get serious on learning to program, learn c first and then, c++. after learning those languages your able to write source code .to program you need a compiler . go to google and search for dev-c++ you can do any kind of software with those tools .from small calculators to operating systems .but the most important of all is dedication and lots of days in front of computers typing and reading code .read a lot ,write a little .until you know the basics of programing .
    if you want to be successfull in computers you must be patient , determined and most important of all: love it .

hey thanks for the advice and ill try my best to stay in and around computers so that ill learn everything there is to know and even more. hopefully. is c and c++ that much better and easier to learn than python? if so then ill start with that. i think i already began to learn c++ from this book i got. but im not sure. it seems to be giving more examples of c++ than anything.

that being said. i have another problem to address. a little while back my brother did a complete system restore back to factory default. the problem is, there were multiple user accounts and they were set to system administrators too. they made their folders private and since everything went back to before they were made i cant access any of their contents. every time i try to open them it says access is denied. is there anyway to get around this? my first thought was maybe something in the registry could be changed but im not sure. can anyone help with this problem. if so then ill really appreciate it. thanks a bunch.

If you're an administrator then yes you can do. You can set the permissions so you can access the folders. You can even change their passwords through gpedit.msc so you can log in as them.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature