Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Computer World

Thumbs up New to the Computer World

hi everyone.

i am relevantly new to the computer world. i know most of the basic info on computers and operating systems and have a general understanding of how they work, but would like to know more. i have a very limited budget, if none at all, and would appreciate it if most of the info on where to learn more about computers and everything that goes with it is relatively free. my true goal is to become a really good hacker and would like to be able to create and write my own programs. i would like to be able to fix and modify computers/operating systems with ease. so please any info on computers, databases, programming, and all the good stuff that follows would greatly help. i need as much info as possible. web sites, books, any and everything. and security is an issue. thank you very much

i am running a Compaq computer that isn't mine,parents bought it, with windows xp home edition sp2, 160 gig hard drive, 512 ddr sdram memory, amd athlon xp processor 3000 series running at 2.16 ghz, cdrw dvdrw combo drive,cd drive, floppy disc drive, a wireless adapter(not router) blazing at 54 mbps, and very many problems that need to be fixed. dvd drive doesn't read dvds for one.

i greatly appreciate it. any and all info will help. thanks again.

you can email me at clownprincemx@yahoo.com
    Last edited by chaosclown; December 24th, 2006 at 12:04 AM. Reason: not specific enough

well first off this is not a hacking site so i dont know how much hacking you will learn here...second if you want to learn programming i suggest going to http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com

Also for security just read and post on here.....

but before all of that read this
    http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

Get yourself a book about hardware. I recommend Bigelow's Book on Troubleshooting and Maintaining Computers. (http://www.amazon.com/Troubleshootin...e=UTF8&s=books)

Learn an OS in and out. Try installing Linux. This will give you a much more broader wavelength in looking at a computer.

Start learning a programming language. For starters, i would highly recommend
    Python (www.python.org).

As for the security part, you've come to the right place. Goto the tutorials section and start reading.

Might pick up another PC. A used/refurb'ed type. Doesn't have
    to be expensive, maybe even a freebie. It'll give you something
    to play with and learn a bit more about how one PC talks to another.

And check out virtualization (virtual players/servers). That would
    give you a wider range of OS's (operating systems) on one piece
    of hardware.
    Last edited by brokencrow; December 24th, 2006 at 06:09 AM.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

all the tips you've received so far are all good. realize it takes time to get good and there will always be more. packetthirst was right when he said to learn python for programming. it'll teach u all the basics fast and the documentation that comes with is good enough to at least get you started. if you can find a mentor or someone who knows what they are doing that can always help. also brokencrow's comment to try finding an old pc (i recommend freebie, i have 10 in my basement, all freebies that im hooking up and doing a lot of work on, all crap, but good enough to play and learn on) just to experiment on. Linux is huge but it takes a long time to learn, especially if ur used to windows. i think ill put together a list of common linux commands and what they do for people who are looking to make that transition, cause thats the hardest part (not nearly as much point and click, but when u get comfortable its much faster and more efficient). i can give u some links to give you just the bare basics.
    actually it would be more efficient if i just uploaded part of my bookmarks, i use firefox (u should too if u dont already and ill leave it at that)

a lot of computer stuff, a lot of it from a long time ago. all the howstuffworks sites are networking theory and what not, pretty helpful honestly. a lot of extra you can ignore, nothing ud really care about. anyway, hope that helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Godsrock37; December 25th, 2006 at 12:49 AM.
    if God was willing to live all out for us, why aren't we willing to live all out for Him? God bless,
    Godsrock37
    my home my forum

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    If you can find one nearby join a group that assists in recycling computers.

My son and I volunteer at http://www.wincycle.org we refurb computers that are in selling condition and strip others that aren't. Keeping some of that "e-waste" out of the landfill, plus you get your hands on some parts for the cheap if not free.

I'm a hardware person and there is no substitute for ripping things apart and putting them together to learn. You have to have a working computer for your web research so don't mod the ones your folks gave you too soon.

If you start rebuilding "boxes", Linux is a good OS to get involved in as you won't have to worry about licensing the extra boxes.

This is a good board to learn from, there's lots of excellent people here.
    Last edited by fourdc; December 25th, 2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: typo'd the url it's fixed now
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Oh yeah ... if you think buying an extra pc for your studies is a bad idea, try using VMware (http://www.vmware.com). It avoids a lot of mess.

thanks you guys for all of the information. it was all really useful. i recently checked out a book from the library on windows xp. but if linux is that much easier then i'll be glad to switch . as for a computer, i haven't found one yet but i'm still searching. my plan is to check places who may have upgraded to newer computers and have no use for the old obsolete models, like the library.

also, while i was exploring the family computer i noticed that it had a version of python. before i came here i had no idea what that was so i kind left it alone. but now i know what it is. it came up while i was in the add remove programs folder. but i cant access it through the start menu.

again i must thank all of you for the info. it really helps. great sites, too. if you come across any more info feel free to post it. thanks again

Caveat emptor: for newbies, the only thing in Linux that's easier
    than Windows is the licensing. The GPL for Linux is pretty straight-
    forward. Windows licensing is obfuscating at best. He-heh, I think
    M$'s lawyers used to write Indian treaties in their past lives.

Stick to the basics, learn what's right in front of you and go from
    there. If you got Windows, stick with Windows for now. You're
    on the steeper side of the learning curve when you're new...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I agree. While it might seem more "hacker like" to use linux, if you're fairly new to the world of computers and you're using Windows, then stick to it. If you have a spare laptop or something you could try installing a linux distro on there, but don't make it your main OS until you're a lot more familiar with PCs in general.

And I'd be wary of VMWare too. I tried to use this to install Ubuntu and run it as a virtual OS, but came across complications (and gave up!).
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature