Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: New to the Computer World

There are a variety of reasons why a computer might not be running at optimal speed. Have you done anti spyware scans for instance? Run defrag, disk cleanup etc? The hyperion driver should probably have offered to install in the right place when you unpacked it.

You can get a decent graphics card at not too hefty a price - may not be quite the latest but would play your games and run the OS with aero if you upgraded to Vista.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

i frequently run ccleaner and windows advanced care. i recently ran a disk clean up of the c drive. i was going to run a defrag but after an analysis it said i didnt have to. as for the hyperion im pretty sure i put it in the right place. in the folder marked drivers in c/windows/system32. it told me to save it to the place where i keep my drivers so i put it here. at least i think this is where the drivers are. i dont spend alot of time in the windows folder so im not sure. the website told to run the setup after i extracted it to the driver folder. of course im thinking that all it was going to extract was a setup.exe. big N O. it was a folder full of dlls, more folders and some other things. i managed to locate the setup.exe and the first time i tried to install it it was like it sent the whole folder i just unpacked to the start menu. it did manage to install something. but i dont kno if it was any help to anything. it proved no results. so theres gotta be something im doing wrong. i got winrar whitch is far easier to use than winzip. so im gonna uninstall whatever it may have installed and delete any folders and try again. thanks for the help. ill keep u posted

hey its me again. sorry for not being here. very very busy. so check it. i finally got me a computer. its an old ibm aptiva a92. with a whopping 16 megs of ram and a 2 gig hardrive. blazin at 166 mhz. runnin windows 95. cool huh. now begins the daunting task of takin it apart piece by piece. my pleasure. hehe. i tried to put 2000 up there but it wouldn't do anything. so then i tried puttin 98 but i needed an upgrade disk. so far i stuck a dvd player in it and tried to swap the dinky 90 watt power supply for a 250 watt one but i couldnt because plugs didnt match up right. so im kinda stuck with 95 until i upgrade the mother board and get more ram. its kinda funny because it was supposed to be a media computer i guess. so it has 2 pci slots and like 4 of the big slots. i think the first thing im gonna do is swap mother boards because i think this one can only handle upto 256 but it doesnt look like it. so far i like the case the best. the front slides down to reveal ur rom drives and the such. its gonna be a sleeper. right now im about to get some power toys and tweakers to make the best of what i have right now. but if u guys can come up with a way to upgrade to 98(i think im below specs 4 2000) that would really help. again i am ver sorry for not being on for a awhile. but i can really use a lot of help with this one. thanks again

Hmm .... you're never going to get far with 16 megs RAM and a 2 gig hard drive - not nowadays. I'd save up and try to buy a cheap deal from Dell or somewhere, you can get a decent computer now for just a few hundred pounds. Honestly you won't run much with those specs, and consequently most of the programs you might want to use will refuse to work on such a PC.

You could try building your own if you want, but it isn't cheaper, people mainly do it for pleasure and so they can customise a build to exactly their requirements (plus make use of spare parts that don't need upgrading, like optical disks, floppy drives etc). However if you're very new to computers you may find that a bit of a nightmare and be happier starting off with a pre packaged PC.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

chaosclown,

Forget it mate, that box just isn't worth upgrading. The only thing I would look for is some second user RAM (72 pin SIMMS 60ns nonparity, zinc)

All you really have is the case and they are cheap enough complete with modern power supply.

Windows 98 Standard Edition (gold) will run on 16Mb of RAM. Second Edition would like 24 and Windows 2000 starts at 64Mb.

The maximum RAM that machine will support is 128Mb, that is 4x32Mb strips.

I doubt if you would find an upgraded MoBo for it, hell, I am not sure if the form factor is ATX or LPX?

(I'm going to reply to an earlier post -- Sorry, I just now happened upon this thread.) In regard to how to begin learning, I'd suggest focusing on one or two areas at a time. Starting with no experience and trying to learn programming, computer maintenance, operating systems, databases, etc. all at once is going to be far more than you can handle -- unless you live, eat, sleep, and breathe computers (which some folks around here do, granted). Otherwise, zero in on one area of interest and really focus on it. Once you feel comfortable with it, add something else.

Also, you're in school? Are you taking any IT-related courses?

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Chaos,

Your profile doesn't say where you reside so if you happen to live outside the US I'll apologize in advance for the info I'll give, as the shipping may not be favorable.

http://www.tigerdirect.com or http://www.newegg.com

sell low priced preloaded boxes. Then there's factory refubished boxes from Dell.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

wow im soooo sorry for not bein on in like 2 months. but i just recently got a newer computer. . i live in south carolina. but wow this is like a really old thread. that im gonna start again. haha. here are my system specs.

HP Pavilion 551w

256 ddr sdram
    40 gig harddrive
    1.6 ghz intel p4 processor
    cdrw. just put in a dvd rom drive
    nvidia vanta lt agp
    4 expansion slots
    gotta nice 20 in crt monitor
    came wit windows xp sp2 but also have a windows 9 in 1 cd

everything i need to continue my research. so gentlemen. lets get back to business

and again really sorry for not gettin back to ya. very very busy. im home schooled. my moms got me workin through the summer.

Hah! "the Prodigal" returns?

Save this link pal, it may come in useful

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=77629&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en〈=en&cc=us

The HP site link for your current box................

but also have a windows 9 in 1 cd
    Please do not attempt to load Windows 9x onto a machine that has XP on it already. Particularly an HP factory loaded version!

EDIT:

http://antionline.com/showthread.php?t=275217

How to make a "proper" XP CD from your HP stuff
    Last edited by nihil; July 9th, 2007 at 04:54 PM.

I'm glad you started this thread again - I too seem to have been very busy lately and haven't been on these boards for some time
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature