Thread: Whats wrong with my copy of windows?

Whats wrong with my copy of windows?

well besides the fact that its windows lol.....

Any ways. Lately my windows box has been running really slow. My internet is laging. And today i tried to play call of duty online and that started laging. I ran Spybot S&D and Adaware. What else can i do to make XP run better? Thanks for any help in advance.

Kryptonic

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

Well, for a start:

1. Get Crap Cleaner and run it.
    2. Set your browser to have a history of 0 days and the smallest cache. Also clear caches
    3. Clear all your browser settings, cookies and such.
    4. Look in your Java folder............there is history and cached data there.

Then scandisk and defrag.

Get a "second opinion".

Do an online scan: Panda or Trendmicro.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

4. Look in your Java folder............there is history and cached data there.
    Where? I've looked in mine I don't see anything. When I search that folder for files modified within the past month, I get no results. I know I've used java since then and would expect any "cache" or "history" to show up during that search.

As far as the computer slowing down:

Make sure you don't have a crap load of programs starting up. Lack of memory or available memory resources can cause your games to lag.

How many running processes and services? How much memory? If you're swapping out to disk, you could be thrashing.

Also, when was the last time you ran a defrag?

Crap Cleaner should help out cleaning up all the junk on the hard drive.

You didn't provide any info about your internet connection.
    Broadband? Shared? Via wired or wireless?

Have you run a bandwith test? Are you getting the up/down speeds that you've paid for? Maybe there is a connection problem on the ISP's side and you need to call them?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Merry Christmas folks!

Good suggestions there Phish~ I was purely thinking about the local machine.

Not sure about Java, I do remember clearing stuff from it a while back. I think I set the cache to 0 either size or days, as malware had a habit of hiding there.

Obviously, if there is nothing there, then that isn't the problem.

Another thing is to look at what starts and what runs automatically........... sometimes I have found that stuff that used to behave itself starts to conflict. As the box fills up and things talke longer to run, they encounter other processes that they didn't when first installed.

I like WinPatrol from BillP Studios. I use it to "suspend" stuff from starting so I can find out who is conflicting with what

Ah well.................time to get on with the real matter in hand?

may want to check your profile size. If you have a lot in 'my documents' etc it will take a while to load on bootup. may want to move music/docs/vids into another folder not in your profile.

download these 3 tools from formerly www.sysinternals.com (should redirect to their new MS Technet site)
    -Process Explorer
    -Autoruns
    -TCPView

in Process Explorer - add columns for Context Switch Delta, Private Bytes, Handles, Page Faults.
    See if anything has high numbers, then check their forums for answers.

use Autoruns and see if any non-MS apps are loading that you don't want to load on startup (google what they are if necessary)

use TCPView to see what connections are going out on your pc. may help in troubleshooting slow connections.

check your computer event logs for errors too

deleting temp files isn't going to help w/ speed - unless your hd is full
    Last edited by not_it; December 26th, 2006 at 07:59 PM.

AOs Resident Troll
    When a machine really starts to slow down.....I check the harddrive...

If its not crapware its hardware

Space?? You should have 20% free space
    I have had failing hardrives act up...when writing...not read as much

Run chkdsk c: /f

assuming windows is installed on C:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

as always when something starts acting up...backup first..

MLF
    Last edited by morganlefay; December 27th, 2006 at 05:44 AM.
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

You sure you haven't inadvertently got something trying to steal all your bandwidth? Not running a program like utorrent, are you, or donating a lot of bandwidth to Tor?

Have you checked Task Manager to see what CPU power is being used, also perfmon.msc to look at how much RAM your system is currently using? (You'll have to get rid of the default graphs and add something useful like available MBs and page writes/sec.)
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

why do people think that adaware and spybot are sufficient? at least, try windows defender. i recommend spysweeper or counterspy for a heftier antispyware defense.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I have Windows Defender on the laptop and it is good. One slightly irritating thing is that every time I boot up, it picks up "changes" which seems to be the tray link for PGP. I permit this every time and every reboot it asks me the same thing (annoying). Fortunately no other users have PGP loading on startup so it wouldn't irritate anyone else. I suppose I could always take it out of msconfig come to that.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature