Thread: Amd Dual Core & Win x64

Amd Dual Core & Win x64

I am having trouble with my amd dual core 4400 and win xp x64 edition i would aperciate any advice thanx!

Merry Christmas my dear friend,

Whilst I am tall, handsome, and incredibly sexy, I am afraid that I am a little short on psychic powers

Without having to resort to my normal interrogation techniques............... might you just tell us what these "troubles" are?

1. What happens when you power it up?
    2. What messages do you see on the screen?

What have you already tried?

Ugh, dual core? Sounds like work. We run a number of high-end
    CAD apps that run flawlessly on our old Dell 330 workstations, but
    are nothing but grief on the dual core Lenovo Thinkpads. I've taken
    to disabling the dual core in the bios, which seems to have helped
    some. You might try something like that.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Dual core rocks! Both this PC and my laptop are dual core and I wouldn't be without it!

The other desktop here is an AMD64 3000+, and that's the one running Vista as a dual boot at the moment. As it happens it has RC1 64 bit version on, the only problem being still a lack of support for 64 bit. Added to Vista's general lack of support for a lot of things, that OS doesn't run many programs

While my PC here is also an Athlon 64, I haven't been tempted to put XP's 64 bit version on it for the reason stated above. However dual core itself it great. What I would advise is running the normal 32 bit version of Windows, you'll probably have a lot fewer problems. I presume the PC didn't come with the 64 bit version installed?
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

brokencrow you have my sympathies mate!

I have supported industrial strength CAD applications for a number of years, and have found that they are very unforgiving when it comes to hardware. I have always worked closely with the software vendors in this matter, and followed their recommendations.

There is a basic problem with dual core and dual processor platforms, in that if the software is not written to use them you will have little benefit and in the case of sophisticated stuff, you may have problems.

Dual core and dual processor kit will work, as will 64bit, it just does not work as well as it might due to the lack of supporting software.

Until the OP tells us exactly what his problems are, we cannot help him?

I cannot honestly imagine anyone could have more problems with dual core than single core. True, apps are only just starting to take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean they won't work if they aren't specially written as multi threaded!

64 bit is different, hardware simply won't work unless you have 64 bit drivers but dual core isn't in the same league when it comes to problems!
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature