Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Banned ?

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Simon
    Come to think about it, I've always wanted to know exactly what I'm signing up to.
    Yes but come on ... this is a forum not the Official Secrets Act. And most forums have more or less the same AUP. Once you've read one you've read the lot.

I still like this as a guide (and the link to answering questions is good too).
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Yes but come on ... this is a forum not the Official Secrets Act. And most forums have more or less the same AUP. Once you've read one you've read the lot.
    I couldn't possibly comment on your analogy.

Personally, I don't think it's fair to generalise that having read one AUP you've read the lot. It may be true that there will be familiar topics covered in all of them, due to the subject matter, however, there will enevitably be differences.

Yes, you are quite right, AntiOnline is a forum. That doesn't mean that we the forum users shouldn't abide by the owners rules, regulations, wishes, etc, does it? I don't like this "Modern attitude," of it's only so and so and of little importance. Perhaps I'm just getting old, however, there appears to be, at least to me, a decreasing amount of respect for things in successive generations. If there were more respect perhaps there'd be less spam and the like!

The problem of course, is not the forum users who adopt a "Common sense," approach, like your good self, but the abusers. They are not going to bother about AUP's, EULA's, or anything else legislative - they have no respect for these things!
    Tomorrow is another day for yesterdays work!

We know people don't read the AUP. Heck, they don't even read stickies right in the forum they're posting in. We have it there just so we can point to it and say "the forum rules ARE posted"

Well actually the same forum software comes with the same default help and rules sections, so often one forum's AUP is an exact copy of another.

Making the leap between not reading the AUP and not obeying the forum rules is a bit skewed though. Just because someone reads the forum rules doesn't mean they're going to abide by them and the opposite is also true. In fact, I'd say that anyone who needed the AUP to tell them how to behave should get some lessons in citizenship before coming near a forum.

It's got nothing to do with respect, I'm just stating fact. People don't read the AUP. Just like nobody pays attention to the safety demonstration before a plane takes off because you've seen it all before (and what use is a lifejacket anyway if the plane comes down in the middle of the Atlantic?).
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Well no, ours is written by our legal dept.

I knew you'd say that

But you get my drift ... lots of forum software comes with default rules (how many times have I checked a box to say I'm over 13 for instance?) and people don't make changes - generally.
    77 111 105 114 97

My PGP signature

Of course, I know, and yes they all do. Actually that's pretty nice of em and no doubt useful for the individuals out there running forums who probably wouldn't think to write one themselves.